Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling  (Read 16072 times)

Duke

• The Duke
How about sending me some orange tree Buckie?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
How about sending me some orange tree Buckie?

thought I replied to this......PM addy & I'll figure things out if you like.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:41 AM »
Real Montana Charcoal

Randy is a one man operation he makes his own lump from apple , cherry , peach , maple and other woods , it's spendy for a box of it ,but if your a lump charcoal fan it's worth it . The wait can be a while for certain woods , and he does have distributers in some states where it can purchased . At one time the lump charcoal data base had his product rated number one .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
Stubb's is still my favorite, followed by KingsFord and Royal Oak.
Any lump works for me. Cowboy due to price and the Wicked Good lump is imported so I have to go by price. I had a few HUGE chunks in the WG I had to pull out to use for cooking butts.
I tried the Trader Joe's. Very crumbly, but it is natural binder, and I would definitely buy it again as the price was right.
And I always throw a stick (or 5) of hickory, oak, pecan, apple, or whatever to give me more of that great smokey flavor I have grown to love.
I am waiting on the Memorial sale hoping to stock up on some KingsFord 2-20's for $9.99 like last year.
I think I'm down to about less than 40 lbs of briquets and less than 50 lbs of lump, so the sales better get here quick, cause I ain't slowing down on my grillin'!
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
Good to hear from you Fink, they just had a sale at HD and Lowes. You didn't grab any? ???

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
Thanks Duke.
I missed the Lowes sale, not sure how much they priced theirs, and HD was $12.88, but I think in about 3 or 4 weeks they will do the $9.99 sale 2-20's.  I'm holding out for that one.
We'll see.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
That's right, I forgot $12.88. I hate to say it, but I doubt we will see 9.99 this year. I just notice they change their prices and bag sizes every year. Last year it was the smaller bags for $7. I Hope for the best though.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
I have an opportunity to purchase some Mali's Gourmet Lump for $3 for a 10# bag in bulk. Has any one used this? I went to Naked Whiz, looks like it is o.k. burns hot, no pops, small pieces...But all the lump I have purchased is either large or so small if falls through the chimney...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
I have an opportunity to purchase some Mali's Gourmet Lump for $3 for a 10# bag in bulk. Has any one used this? I went to Naked Whiz, looks like it is o.k. burns hot, no pops, small pieces...But all the lump I have purchased is either large or so small if falls through the chimney...
Make sure it is the made in us variety. I tried a bag of the stuff from Argentina, and the whole bag sparked like the Fourth of July. I can handle a sparker or two in a bag of lump, but I remember I was afraid of catching the backyard on fire when I lit this stuff up.

Duke

• The Duke
I would grab lots of it and make an expanded metal charocal basket and invest in a weedburner. Then it can just spark away.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Make sure it is the made in us variety. I tried a bag of the stuff from Argentina, and the whole bag sparked like the Fourth of July. I can handle a sparker or two in a bag of lump, but I remember I was afraid of catching the backyard on fire when I lit this stuff up.

It is the US version, did check that out. Have a sample bag, but did not fire up the Weber in a snow storm last night. Would like to test before a a purchase.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
I would grab lots of it and make an expanded metal charocal basket and invest in a weedburner. Then it can just spark away.

I am thinking of getting lots, have the storage and the price is way below retail.

Duke

• The Duke
When I run out of my oak I am going to buy lazzari mesquite that also sparks like crazy. It goes 40 pounds for $20.

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
I have been using NatureGlo lump lately. It is the food service brand of RO. 40lb. bag is $21.  8)
Steve
"Le Grille? What the hell is that?"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer

It is the US version, did check that out. Have a sample bag, but did not fire up the Weber in a snow storm last night. Would like to test before a a purchase.

** Update ** Tried the sample bag tonight with boneless chops. I could tell from the get go, the chunks were small. Put some KB in the bottom of the chimney, then added the lump. Pieces where small, had I not put the KB in the bottom, most would have fell out. I think this is damaged in transit(open bag) material.
It would be good filler, going to see if I can purchase for less, $2.00 a bag tops, hopefully. Did Hold temp well with the KB, still got a nice sear, after running an hour cooking potatoes.