Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling  (Read 16069 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
I'm just getting started with lump, and have used one bag of Royal Oak with good results.  Found a good deal on Frontier brand at BJ's (my local warehouse store) and it seems to be working pretty well.  They currently have a 34-pound bag for about 20 bucks.  Maybe I'll work up to the Wicked lump that they carry at my local Weber mecca, Village Hardware (that's in Alexandria, VA for all you DC/NoVA folks). 

I know this is common knowledge, but it is remarkable how little ash lump leaves behind. I love my Kingsford Blue, but man, does that ever have a lot of filler in it!  It is cheap, but I wonder what percentage of the total weight of KB I end up throwing away as ash.
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Dump it your garden to alkalize the soil....Anything but peppers & tomatoes will benefit from alkaline (they like acidy dirt)
Plus, that way you get some meat already built into your vegetables...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Of all the lumps I've used wicked good has been my favorite, it's a bit pricey but worth it.  Every bag of cowboy I've gotten has been really bad, about half was almost powder and unusable. I've heard quite a few folks say that Cowboy lump has been much better lately but I haven't been that lucky. Royal oak is good stuff too and my local wally world has it so I use it a lot.  My local Wegmans also has store brand lump and it good stuff that's supposedly made by royal oak.  I say don't be afraid of the store brand, it's all made by someone else anyways.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bman

• WKC Performer
Maybe I'll work up to the Wicked lump that they carry at my local Weber mecca, Village Hardware (that's in Alexandria, VA for all you DC/NoVA folks). 

I love my Kingsford Blue, but man, does that ever have a lot of filler in it!  It is cheap, but I wonder what percentage of the total weight of KB I end up throwing away as ash.

That's a handy piece of info I wasn't aware of.

For my WSM - I think KBB blows.  Too much ash & smothers the coals.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
I may have to check out this village hardware place

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Village is a great hardware store, so wander around.  Then ask about the basement, and they will direct you to a little door that reminds me of some kind of secret passage.  They have like every Weber made down there, plus charcoal and chunk wood and even some Green Eggs.  The first time I visited the basement, I started to feel lightheaded and had to sit down. 

It is definitely worth the trip. The Father and son who run the store are really knowledgeable and friendly too.

Duke

• The Duke
Village is a great hardware store, so wander around.  Then ask about the basement, and they will direct you to a little door that reminds me of some kind of secret passage.  They have like every Weber made down there
Please tell more. Is "the basement" storage for every new style grill made or is it some kind of museum like Weber's infamous "one of a kind room"? ???

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
My apologies, Mr. Duke.  By 'made', I meant in current production.  From what I hear, your personal museum would trump what Weber has in theirs. 

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
Currently have been been using the Frontier lump from BJ's as described by Mike earlier in this post. This is pretty decent stuff, and I used it all last summer and winter. Also have some wicked good as well. I also keep a few bags of the trader joe's briquettes on hand.

For NJ folks, the BJ'S has pallets of the Frontier lump. 34 lbs for 19.99. Took this pic from the BJ's in Watching this morning.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Thanks for chiming in, Mike.  It's nice to know I'm not alone, and to know that I'm not missing out on some much better stuff by using Frontier.  I just bought my second bag, and will prolly be stocking up with even more.

Does BJs stock that stuff all through the spring and summer, in your experience?  And have you tried it in your smoker(s)? 

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Feel the Burn: Our Favorite Hardwood Charcoal Brands for Summer Grilling
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Mike.  It's nice to know I'm not alone, and to know that I'm not missing out on some much better stuff by using Frontier.  I just bought my second bag, and will prolly be stocking up with even more.

Does BJs stock that stuff all through the spring and summer, in your experience?  And have you tried it in your smoker(s)?

Hi Mike. Yes BJ's had that last summer. I bought the last few bags last fall to get me through the winter. I hope it is the same this year.
I also used this many times in the WSM, and it performed really well.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
I'm visiting family in the Chicago area, and today paid a visit to my old BBQ joint.  It was still good, but I think mine is better now.  So I'm kind of dealing with mixed emotions-- at least I won't need to miss my old Hillery's in Waukegan anymore.

But I was talking with the pitmaster, who said he's been cooking there for at least the 20 years since I've been gone.  I noticed that he had some Kingsford blue by the pit, and talked to him about stocking up with the spring sales.  He said he actually doesn't like using Kingsford, since it has so many 'fumes'.  He actually prefers lump, and has been using it for his whole career.   So I'm extra-keen to try some ribs and butts over Frontier sometime soon.  Thanks for the tips.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Has anyone used the Trader Joe's brand of briquette charcoal?  They had it today at $8 for 18 pounds, which at .44/lb. is dang close to what I pay for KBlue at the sales (~.28/lb last year).  The label says it's made in Argentina, and uses only cornstarch as a binder. 

I bought a single bag today, and I'm not sure if that was a sale price or the regular price.  I'll have to give it a try to see how it works. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Not yet, but I'm about pissed off enough to try it !!!@

No Stubb's to be had in this town that I can find !!!

Stubb's is smokey @ high heat, but I think it works great for the  slow burning chains......

Maybe I'll get out my yuppie machine gun & stop into Trader's.....they're right up the street !!!!

Blue K's just adds a little too much extras as it lites from scratch.....I've seen the light & will use it in a pinch, but would rather have cornstarch binder....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Probably ain't gonna help at all but B&B makes a briquette that seems almost identical to Stubbs to me. Wish I could help out