Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First ribs on a Weber  (Read 1541 times)

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
First ribs on a Weber
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
..or on any kettle grill, for that matter

Dinner:

The ribs, ready for the rub made with brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, garlic powder and salt.

Here's the rack of ribs after they've been rubbed with dry rub. I let them sit for an hour or so like that. 

I set the grill up with a "C" shaped pile of charcoal topped with two pieces of hickory for smoke.  I had a bit of trouble keeping the temperature where I wanted it (250°F-275F°) But it did finally even out. I think my problem was adding too many lit coals to get the C going.

And they're on the smoke!

Here they are after 2 hours or so over the smoke.

And here they are - done. About 4.25 hours - painted once with KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce mixed with Tabasco Chipotlé sauce half hour before I pulled them.

and plated with roasted potatoes with onions, and asparagus.

They came out PERFECT! I'm really happy about it too. There's a bit of a learning curve to getting the temperature control right on the coil of coals method - but hey, them ribs were as good as any I've made yet in any grill I own.  8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:27:13 PM by Swamp Yankee »

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: First ribs on a Weber
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
That looks fantastic! It seems like you knew what you were doing! Great job and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
Expertly done. Surely you must have made ribs before!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:54 AM »
Looks yummy.

... I had a bit of trouble keeping the temperature where I wanted it (250°F-275F°) ...

Nah it wasn't that high. Lid thermometers lie.  So maybe that's why it worked so well. On the other hand, when the thermometer eventually begins to die (as all bimetal thermos will) it'll read too low, and then might just match what's happening at the grate. Of course, a remote thermometer will take out the guesswork on a long cook.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:05 PM »
Expertly done. Surely you must have made ribs before!

Oh yeah - but this was the first time in a kettle grill. I also have a big green egg and a barrel grill/smoker...I've done plenty of ribs.  I usually do them in summer at our camper in the barrel grill - my son in law and I will tend a hickory fire in the fire pit and add hot coals as needed to keep the smoker at the right temperature.

The Big Green Egg is easier than either one, as far as temperature control goes, but I like the way the ribs come out better in the barrel grill or on the Weber.