Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kalbi- Korean short ribs  (Read 1495 times)

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Kalbi- Korean short ribs
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:53:01 PM »
This was my first do or die moment since I got my first Kettle a couple months ago.  My wife is Korean and her favorite is Kalbi.  Her family also refers to them as "wrong cut ribs" because you have the butcher cut the ribs the opposite way so you get three small pieces of bone across each piece of meat. 

Concerned that I might ruin it on the kettle, she suggested I cook it on the gas grill as I always have.  Not to be deterred I lit up the kettle and was immediately in over my head as the meat flared up terribly when it hit the grill and I was quickly losing control of the situation.   I lit the gas grill as a backup and prepared to swallow my pride while I played around with technique.   I found if I put about 8 pieces on the grill for about a minute and a half on each side covered it cooked perfectly.   

Here's the meat in my wife's special marinade

All cooked and ready for the table

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Kalbi- Korean short ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
Yup. The lid and the bottom damper is all you need to kill flames on our beloved Kettles. I grill on a OT over 3 wheelers because it is so easy to squash flames.

Was the meat good? Looks good.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Kalbi- Korean short ribs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
Kalbi is one of my favorite to grill. I get my beef short ribs flanken cut from Sams Club. I use a homemade marinade and let it set in the fridge overnight and boy that meat turns out so tender and moist. Your cook looks terrific! Congrats!

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

dmbrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:34:37 AM »
Those look delicious....I really gotta try some korean bbq one of these days.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
@Loonysup. Looks great bud. What are the greens? They are popping in that picture. Tfs

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
Thanks everyone.   They came out great on the kettle.   For comparison, I cooked about a dozen pieces on the Genesis.   Everyone agreed the flavor was better on the kettle.

The greens are a Korean side dish.  It's made with steamed spinach, but I'm not sure what else.    Combining the meat with rice, some of the spinach and sriracha is my favorite way to eat it.   

David

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »
Looks great!  My Korean friends told me that the more charred the kalbi gets the better they like it.  It almost candies if you let it.  So delicious.  Looks like you did a great job.  I want some!

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »
Those look delicious! Nice job!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »
Looks amazing I love Kalbi!