Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Genesis Platinum Series Restore  (Read 5412 times)

SixZeroFour

Red Genesis Platinum Series Restore
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
Here's another gasser restore I figured some folks might appreciate. This one is a Platinum series grill which in my opinion is the best Genesis Weber ever produced [emoji106]

- Cookbox was sandblasted inside and out then repainted
- Lid disassembled and the porcelain scraped and cleaned
- All slats removed, scrubbed, then reinstalled
- Burners cleaned and reassembled
- Replaced hose and regulator
- Cooking grates brought back to like new shape
- Drip pans shined up good as new

This baby works like a champ! 8)

Thanks for looking and have a great long weekend!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Re: Red Genesis Platinum Series Restore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
That pin striping is sweet. Nice work on the clean up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »
Great looking '96 there, 604! You are on a roll, sir!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:31:31 PM »

Thanks ATS... How'd you know it was a 96?  :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »

Thanks ATS... How'd you know it was a 96?  :)

From the serial # showing in your last picture.

ER = 1996; gassers used the same letter code as kettles from what I've read.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
@SixZeroFour dude, what a beautiful restore! I've no knowledge or experience with gassers so I wanted to ask why in your opinion makes these superior? She sure is purty

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »

Haha nice - I had no clue! I usually look for the casting mark on the cook box :) Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »

Haha nice - I had no clue! I usually look for the casting mark on the cook box :) Thanks!

Well I saw your picture of the casting mark and still don't know where it is on mine yet ... figured I'd call Weber to make sure since those years seemed to be in transition between "pure, full-on Genesis" and when they said, "Hey, we can actually make less expensive versions too."

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Nice Genesis, Matt! What makes this one a platinum version?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »

Pin stripes on the hood
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 10:49:49 PM »
@SixZeroFour dude, what a beautiful restore! I've no knowledge or experience with gassers so I wanted to ask why in your opinion makes these superior? She sure is purty
@Travis Thank you! There are a few reasons that I really like these older 3-burners. Number one is the frame. Not only is it powdercoated (not painted), it is also a non-enclosed (no cabinet doors). Fancy Doors may give new grills a nice finished appearance, but in reality it just traps moisture inside and promotes rusting of components. The newer model Genesis and Summit grills cabinets/frames are prone to rust and the coating has a tendency to flake off prematurely especially in wet climates like here on the west coast. As long as you keep that powdercoated frame clean it will last a very long time... much longer than a new style cabinet. Next up is Simplicity. These grills are such a simple yet effective design with very few pieces to them. Essentially you have the frame, the aluminum cookbox, heat deflectors, flavourizer bars, burners, valves and regulator. There really isn't a whole lot that can fail if kept in good order, and if it does there are boatloads of parts available for them. Lastly its the build quality of the internals. Instead of one row of flavourizer bars these 3-burners have both horizontal and vertical running bars. This helps to both retain heat and also provide a more even temperature across the cooking grate.... oh and one last thing... they just look badass 8)

Pin stripes on the hood

lol - @pbe gummi bear to be honest I don't know. I'm thinking they may have come with upgraded internals? And the sweet pinstripes of course ;)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »
Or was it the upgrade to the "duraplast" or whatever it's called over the wood?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
@SixZeroFour  Thanks for your explanation! It makes sense about the open style frames vs. new cabinets, and I totally agree that I love the look of these old school reds! Thanks again

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 07:01:06 AM »
I agree! Best gasser ever, there is nothing else like it, still don't understand why they changed the burner orientation on the newer gassers, the horizontal is far superior especially for two chickens on a roti ;) and the 2 layers of flavorizers is amazing at preventing flare ups. Sweet restore @SixZeroFour there was a time when mine looked that good, I'm jealous.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
I agree! Best gasser ever, there is nothing else like it, still don't understand why they changed the burner orientation on the newer gassers, the horizontal is far superior especially for two chickens on a roti ;) and the 2 layers of flavorizers is amazing at preventing flare ups. Sweet restore @SixZeroFour there was a time when mine looked that good, I'm jealous.

One thing I've wondered about the extra Flavorizer bars is that, if they more evenly spread heat, wouldn't it then be harder to create hot/cool zones? This sort of circles around to one reason we all like charcoal here, because you have more control over exactly where the heat is placed. One thing that appeals to me about the current north-south gassers is say you have a half-griddle accessory. Turn off a burner and now you're not wasting fuel heating up nothing.

When I picked up my 900 the other day (has only the 5 horizontal bars) the seller mentioned having to watch out for flareups (!). "Are the bars present ... ?" I leaned in to look and yes they're there.

"Yeah but sometimes it happens, because even though the burners stay protected, grease will more directly hit the bottom and flare up. You can REMOVE the bottom pan and use a cookie sheet further down below on the bottom shelf to eliminate that."

Not interested in doing that. At all.