Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cajun Bandit Brisket  (Read 2698 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Cajun Bandit Brisket
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
I picked up a Brisket from Costco a few days ago. It almost went in the freezer, but decided I was gonna do this cook today! @Troy was kind enough to let me borrow his Cajun Bandit Stacker. It worked perfectly with my Outrider, that has been out of the rotation for way too long.

That's not quite a full bag of Stubbs, with some peach and apple chunks.

I used 10 lit coals to get it going.

While the coals were getting ready, I trimmed this Costco brisket.

Cracked pepper, kosher salt, granulated onion and granulated garlic. I used a mini loaf pan, under the brisket, to make it fit on the grate. I removed the loaf pan a few hours into the cook.

My Outrider, with the Cajun Bandit Stacker.

mmm...brisket...

7-hour temp check...192*

8-Hours and done.

Ready for a rest...

I wrapped in foil at this point and let it rest on the counter for about an hour. The temp dropped to ~165* and then into the warm oven to hold until dinner time. I'll include a sliced pic, once I feed the kids!  :)

The potatoes were roasted in cast iron on the Performer, along with some asparagus wraps. Beans on the stove top. This brisket is probably the best one I have cooked yet. 

I still have most of the point and some of the flat leftover. I've never made burnt ends before, so that will happen with some leftover point...maybe tomorrow  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:25:46 PM by Jason »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cajun Bandit Brisket
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »
That looks great......always a good sign when you get puddles of beef goo near the end........ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »
Gotta love beef goo. I enjoy the smell of a big hunk of beef as it nears doneness too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:02:14 PM »
Love the stacker on the Outrider, really neat and I bet it's super efficient. Brisket looks killer too.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:38 AM »
Looks really good from here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:51:24 AM »
Nicely done.  I've sworn off smoking brisket at this point (to easy to not get perfect) but would not turn down a plate of yours to try out!  Your sides look great as well.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:01:55 AM »
Wow, that looks impressive!

Now, you got me thinking of a CBS for my Outrider.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

Nicely done.  I've sworn off smoking brisket at this point (to easy to not get perfect) but would not turn down a plate of yours to try out!  Your sides look great as well.

It's often simply an inferior piece of meat, even if it's choice. Often they lack that "beefy" flavor. Other than that though, you might try wrapping with butcher paper once the bark is where you like it. It will make cooking more efficient and keep the bark from drying out without sacrificing texture and flavor like foil does. As to temps I target 275. It's easy to warm a brisket to death cooking too slow, but cooking much over 300 can burn the paper. [emoji15]

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »

It's often simply an inferior piece of meat, even if it's choice. Often they lack that "beefy" flavor. Other than that though, you might try wrapping with butcher paper once the bark is where you like it. It will make cooking more efficient and keep the bark from drying out without sacrificing texture and flavor like foil does. As to temps I target 275. It's easy to warm a brisket to death cooking too slow, but cooking much over 300 can burn the paper. [emoji15]

Had a brisket competition between my girlfriends Dad, Brother in Law, and myself over the summer.  The results after each non-cooking family member voting were basically tied.  I'm just not a huge brisket fan.  Her BIL did wrap his in butcher paper, and has been using butcher paper on lots of different meats since then.  So basically for me its a lot of work to get it right for something I'm still not going to enjoy as much as I would ribs, shoulder, etc.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Cajun Bandit Brisket
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »

Had a brisket competition between my girlfriends Dad, Brother in Law, and myself over the summer.  The results after each non-cooking family member voting were basically tied.  I'm just not a huge brisket fan.  Her BIL did wrap his in butcher paper, and has been using butcher paper on lots of different meats since then.  So basically for me its a lot of work to get it right for something I'm still not going to enjoy as much as I would ribs, shoulder, etc.

I hear ya. My wife feels exactly the same way, so I rarely some them anymore. When they're good though they're REALLY GOOD. Honestly though, that takes a stickburner.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:35:05 PM by kettlecook »

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Since reading Aaron Franklins' new book (that I won here  ;D) and plenty of stuff from the stickburner guys, I thought I would give it another go. This was only my third time doing a brisket cook, so not much to compare it to.  I'm pretty darn satisfied with the results on this one. It was moist, tender, flavorful and didn't crumble apart when I sliced it. Most of the cook averaged 265* and was probe tender in 8-hours...didn't wrap until it was done.

I prefer ribeye steaks and tri-tip, but will cook another brisket if I need to feed a crowd (me  8))

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »
Getting more and more sold on the stacker.  Looks like a great product.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson