Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked Chickpeas for Hummus  (Read 5207 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Smoked Chickpeas for Hummus
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
I started with 3 pounds of dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans . I used a quick soak method to re-hydrate the beans before cooking them . That method calls for boiling the beans for 5 minutes , removing from heat and letting them stand in the hot water for an hour or so

Once the beans are soaked they should be rinsed and are now ready to cook
Cover the beans with a couple inches of water and boil for 60-90 minutes depending on how tender you like them.

Today I'm making some roasted chickpeas for snacking and also some hummus for the super bowl. I'll cook one batch for about 60 minutes for roasting and the other batch 90 minutes for hummis that  way the beans are nice and soft and easier to process.

I decided I wanted to smoke a batch of the cooked beans and make some hummus with the smoked beans . I modified a grill pan for veggies to hold the peas . I set up a grill basket with about 8-10 briquettes that I let get fully ignited , to that I added one small chunk of Apple wood .

I smoked the first batch of plain cooked beans at around 200 -225 degrees for about 40 minutes , the second batch I seasoned with some various spices and smoked those for about an hour.

Meanwhile in the oven I roasted a few other batches at 400 for around 30 minutes until crispy this could also be done on the grill .With these I made cinnamon honey and spicy versions . These are great crunchy snacks .

The peas on the smoker take on a nice Carmel color and a great smokey taste, they taste great at this stage alone  ( like smoked chicken )

For the hummus I added the smoked beans to a food processor. To that I added tahini sauce ( sesame seed paste) fresh garlic,parsley and olive oil as well as a few seasonings and processed  until smooth.

You can substitute  canned beans for dried . Dried are more work but cost nothing , 3 pounds for under $2.00 and that makes a lot of hummus . The smoke flavor was fantastic and I'm happy with the results but it's a work in progress . The applewood was sweet and gave the hummus a great flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:33:02 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoked Chickpeas for Hummus
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
I like the sound of everything you did there.  Thanks for sharing.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
Dude, that's awesome. We've been eating a lot of hummus... I need to try this!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »
Bloody great idea there.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"