Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Temp Ranges  (Read 3518 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Weber Temp Ranges
« on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:01 AM »
In the Weber Owners Manual it talks about cooking with different heat ranges. Low, Medium and High. It doesn't state what those temperatures are. I read on their site:

Low = 200-250
Medium = 250-350
High = 350-450

That's a pretty wide range. Is there a more detailed temperature chart for grilling different meats and vegetables?
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Temp Ranges
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
50 degree variances aren't always as wide as they seem. Much depends on where food is in relation to heat. That will be a big difference as well, which is why you give some thought to food placement regardless of grate temp. Recipes will often have 20-30% time variances too.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
I can see now my question was as vague as the temperature ranges. I guess I'll have to play around with the different cooking methods to get the answers I want. I think I'll mainly only do a 2 zone style of cooking.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
Oh without a doubt, 2-zone is insanely versatile and smart. That method alone, once I realized it, changed everything for me. You'll also see recipes or cook methods described as gauging grate temp by how many seconds you can hold your hand over the heat. Also very useful!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
@BBQFiend  A-t-S has got you on the right track there......

" Much depends on where food is in relation to heat."

Simple & direct is a "two zone".....you can cook over heat directly (how high is determined firstly by amount of coals & then also by how much airflow thru the bottom vents) & you also have the non-direct area not over the coals to keep things "warming" or gently cooking while other items may go over the heat & need less overall time.....
Learning to catch the burn of the coals & when to add what foods comes (pretty quickly) with experience.....you can ask any question here & someone will have an answer as to the general setup for what you want to do....

Below is a 5-zone fire on a 26" Weber:

Sort of displayed in reverse order, but you can see timing & placement differences somewhat......

Here's an entire meal rotated on an 18" Kettle:

....and a link that shows the order of appearance......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
I tried grilling burgers tonight. I realized right away I was using way too much charcoal. That food looks great 1buckie. I'd like to get decent at cooking vegetables. I think my kids would actually enjoy eating grilled veggies.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
I tried grilling burgers tonight. I realized right away I was using way too much charcoal. That food looks great 1buckie. I'd like to get decent at cooking vegetables. I think my kids would actually enjoy eating grilled veggies.
Other then not wasting... I don't know if you can use too much coal for burgers? Hot as possible IMO.

Though no need to cover the whole bottom, leave a little area that cooler so that if the middle isn't cooked enough you can move them aside and get them finished up off direct heat.

Not that the weber manual is bad... But don't use if for how to cook. Not that its gonna be that far off, but just throw a thread up here ahead of time and ask for suggestions ahead of time. Also browse the Pics and Recipes to look for stuff you want to try and see if what you want has already been detailed. 

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Weber Temp Ranges
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
@BBQFiend  A-t-S has got you on the right track there......

" Much depends on where food is in relation to heat."

Simple & direct is a "two zone".....you can cook over heat directly (how high is determined firstly by amount of coals & then also by how much airflow thru the bottom vents) & you also have the non-direct area not over the coals to keep things "warming" or gently cooking while other items may go over the heat & need less overall time.....
Learning to catch the burn of the coals & when to add what foods comes (pretty quickly) with experience.....you can ask any question here & someone will have an answer as to the general setup for what you want to do....

Below is a 5-zone fire on a 26" Weber:

Sort of displayed in reverse order, but you can see timing & placement differences somewhat......

Here's an entire meal rotated on an 18" Kettle:

....and a link that shows the order of appearance......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

Now THAT is what a forum is for. I cook for a large household so the missus usually cooks the sides. I've got enough grills so no excuses, though! We take the JJ on trips when it's just the two of us, so I need to at least try more on those occasions. I've cooked sweet potatoes on the coals unwrapped, though. They were incredible, but it's a bit of a mess getting the charred skin off, or so I was told. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:12:42 PM by kettlecook »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 05:17:52 PM »
Using charbaskets is a useful way to measure coals.

One chimney will fill 2 charbaskets may need to add a few unlit to each basket....
I indirect cook most meat to start..helps to cook meat without burning AND cooks moisture out without dripping onto lit coals...post indirect slide baskets together in the middle and direct sear.
Grills

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
I agree with @toolhead.  Using those baskets allows you to concentrate heat in certain areas and even move them around to make adjustments during the cook if needed.

Also, you can shut down your vents and save a lot of charcoal if you feel like you've used too much.

I cook on a 26er and often only use one basket if it's just me and my GF.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna