Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast  (Read 3193 times)

xring01

• Smokey Joe
Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:34 PM »
OK, Below is my plan for my Xmas Dinner Prime Rib..
I have smoked many prime ribs, I am always trying to up my game.. The reason I am posting this, is to see if any of you think this is not a good plan, or have suggestions.

I just bought a 8.5lb 3 Bone Rib Roast, with plenty of marbling in the middle. I was fortunate enough to arrive at grocery store, right when they were unpacking a bunch 15-20 of full length Rib Roasts.. I was able to choose the one I wanted. So I think I got the best one...

Plan.
Tomorrow, Weds AM, I will remove the bones, and trim it, then Dry Brine with a Light Coat of Kosher Salt, wrap it in Saran Wrap. Put it back into the fridge. So it Dry Brines for 48hrs before I cook it... I have never done it this way before, Its supposed to suck in the salt and retain moisture better on the finished cook.

On Xmas day, I will wipe off as much of the salt as I can. Then I will Rub it down with a Wet Rub Consisting of Olive Oil, Finely Chopped Onion, Chopped Garlic, Chopped Fresh Rosemary, Black Pepper, Salt and a bit of Paprika. I will put this on Thick, very thick. 

Then I will slightly smoke it (a few chunks Apple wood) at 225-250 degrees to 125 degrees internal temp. Then I will sear it over hot coals,  turning it 360 degrees until it hits 135 internal temp.  I am not a Medium Rare Guy, prefer Medium.. So I know thats a bit over cooked to most of you.. But I have to please my family..

Then it will be served with Baked Taters (wrapped in foil on smoker), Saute'd Mushroom/Onions/Red Wine Side Dish I make, and a home made horseradish sauce.

My wife will most likely make a green bean casserole...

Then it will all be served with a bottle of Cab Savignon that I have been aging for 6-7 years..   
Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
I have a rule about never doing less than 4 bones but that's a personal preference  and if you've had great success with 3 , good on you. I would only suggest that you bone , roll and tie it . That's removing those bones seasoning and then tying the bones back on to the roast , like fat,  bones add a ton of flavor to the roast not to mention you get that yummy rib meat . Other than that and again this is my personal preference your recipe sounds wonderful .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:41:01 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
Yes, remove the ribs, but tie them back on (or smoke them on the side of a chef's treat!). I think wrapping in saran wrap is unnecessary (I would leave it uncovered in the fridge on a wire rack over a drip pan) but some people are funny about uncovered meat. Dry brine is the way to go, and your rub sounds great.

I believe it's @fedex but might be someone else who likes to cook their prime rib to finish temp (for you 135), rest it for about 30 minutes after smoking, then sear it in a 500 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. The rest will allow it to cool enough that the hot oven won't cook it more, just get the outside tasting awesome.

Don't wrap your taters! They won't get any good smoke flavor! Rub them in butter/olive oil/bacon grease/duck fat or some other delicious fat, put some kosher salt on the skin, and let them ride. Might take 3 hours at 225-250. I personally don't like to wrap taters because the skin is my favorite part and I prefer it crispy and smoky. I think foil traps steam and makes the skin soggy.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
I've never done a rib roast, so I can't help there.  But I agree on the taters.  Do not wrap them.  I coat the outsides heavily with both butter and Kosher salt.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
Yes, remove the ribs, but tie them back on (or smoke them on the side of a chef's treat!). I think wrapping in saran wrap is unnecessary (I would leave it uncovered in the fridge on a wire rack over a drip pan) but some people are funny about uncovered meat. Dry brine is the way to go, and your rub sounds great.

I believe it's @fedex but might be someone else who likes to cook their prime rib to finish temp (for you 135), rest it for about 30 minutes after smoking, then sear it in a 500 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. The rest will allow it to cool enough that the hot oven won't cook it more, just get the outside tasting awesome.

Don't wrap your taters! They won't get any good smoke flavor! Rub them in butter/olive oil/bacon grease/duck fat or some other delicious fat, put some kosher salt on the skin, and let them ride. Might take 3 hours at 225-250. I personally don't like to wrap taters because the skin is my favorite part and I prefer it crispy and smoky. I think foil traps steam and makes the skin soggy.

I have always foiled taters... To steam them and cook them faster.. Really dont eat the skin..

But i will try my tater your way this time and check it against the foil wrapped taters.. Official taste test.

I always remove the ribs when i cook a rib roast. I like to rub all of it. Want the rub on as much of it as possible.. I get a end cut just because i like the rub flavor...

If you cook it with the ribs, there is no cooked rub on the bottom.. Messed up 25% of it.. Thats just wrong, sac religious.. Cant have it that on my Rib roast.. 😰
Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
@xring01 then just save the ribs for stock, or just coat them with a ton of rub and cook them next to the prime rib.... They will make a great treat.

Also - might want to try unwrapped taters on the next cook - if you have them down and your fam likes them that way it might be a good idea to stick with the known and give the unwrapped taters a try next time. I would hate to be responsible for a mishap with them on Christmas. Can't wait to see pics, good luck!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:17:56 PM by austin87 »

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
I'm with you...a medium guy.  Planning to do my New Years prime rib roast reverse sear on the roti.  First time for me too. Looking forward to hearing your results. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »
I bought my Prime Rib today (About the only time I ever buy prime beef).  It is sitting uncovered in my fridge right now, doing a dry age until Christmas Eve.  My wife's family has sworn by the America's Test Kitchen Prime Rib, which calls for dry aging for up to A WEEK!  I can't justify that for such an expensive cut of meat, but a couple of days will be good.  I plan on dry brining Christmas Eve.  Low and slow using snake.  Meanwhile on another grill, I'll have twice bake potatoes going and a blazing hot fire.  When the rib gets up to 125, I'll do a quick reverse sear on all sides on the grill the potatoes have been roasting on once the coals there are blazing hot.  Served with corn casserole (my wife and kid's favorite part...CRAZY) and salad with apple pie for dessert. 

I'm going to be drinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga ALL DAY LONG.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »
Well, i have been making prime rib roasts for about 17 years now. I will admit that i am not a expert. Lots of success, and a few failures. My failures came from the quality of the meat. Not my cooking. If you start with shoe leather, then Its pretty difficult to create a masterpiece.

But I learned a valuable leason on that cook. Just because you order a "prime rib" doesnt mean you get what you pay for.. I knew when I bought that sucker, it didnt have the correct marbling.. But the butcher insisted it was prime..

Now, i dont trust butchers. I trust what my eyes see..   It has to have the proper marbling. If it does, then a total idiot can create a great dinner. If it doesnt, you look stupid.. Ask me how I know.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:26:02 PM by xring01 »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »
I like everything in your plan but the plastic wrap, I would just have it sitting on a rack in a pan covered with a tea towel that gets changes twice a day.

I don't take off the bones, but that is a matter of preference.

And you know how much carry-over an 8.5 lb roast will have.

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
I like everything in your plan but the plastic wrap, I would just have it sitting on a rack in a pan covered with a tea towel that gets changes twice a day.

I don't take off the bones, but that is a matter of preference.

And you know how much carry-over an 8.5 lb roast will have.

Ok, note taken, i am re considering the saran wrap.. It works, but.. Other methods might be better..

I have a fridge that i can use just to dry age salt brine this rib roast..

Pics will follow tomorrow.

In the never endinding search of the perfect prime rib. Does it exist, or is it just a figment of my imagination.   😑😇

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:31:42 AM »
The meat between the bones and around the bones is special and produces a succulent and most tender bite when the connective tissues are allowed to break down and  baste the roast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
I cook the Rib Bones seperate from the Rib Roast... They dont go to waste

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
OK,

This is before I trimmed it... Look at that marbling in the middle... Thats about perfect IMHO...

This is after I trimmed it and I lightly salted it, then got a wild hair and lightly dusted it with my super duper top secret rub, that I use on just about everthing... Including Rib Eye Steaks.. I will give you a few hints.. Pepper, Salt, Garlic, Onion Powder and many other things... I did it lightly..

You can see the marinating dish.. with triangular ridges to lift the meat off bottom...

I placed the removed ribs on bottom, then put the trimmed Rib roast on top of the ribs. I put foil over the top, its on there very loose..

Back in the fridge it went...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:21:15 AM by xring01 »

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »
I'm going to be drinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga ALL DAY LONG.

That's what's up.  You can't lose if that's your plan!