Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast  (Read 3192 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Plan for my Xmas Rib Roast
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
I agree with doing it without the rib bones as they prevent getting a nice crust on bottom and they also inhibit the smoke.    Put them on a separate rack in the smoker.

Also, from what I could tell in the last photos, I'd use more salt.  When dry brining, the salt is going to end up being drawn down into the meat, so it calls for more than just a normal exterior dusting.

Looks good though, can't wait to see the finished pics.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Yes, remove the ribs, but tie them back on (or smoke them on the side of a chef's treat!). I think wrapping in saran wrap is unnecessary (I would leave it uncovered in the fridge on a wire rack over a drip pan) but some people are funny about uncovered meat. Dry brine is the way to go, and your rub sounds great.

I believe it's @fedex but might be someone else who likes to cook their prime rib to finish temp (for you 135), rest it for about 30 minutes after smoking, then sear it in a 500 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. The rest will allow it to cool enough that the hot oven won't cook it more, just get the outside tasting awesome.

Don't wrap your taters! They won't get any good smoke flavor! Rub them in butter/olive oil/bacon grease/duck fat or some other delicious fat, put some kosher salt on the skin, and let them ride. Might take 3 hours at 225-250. I personally don't like to wrap taters because the skin is my favorite part and I prefer it crispy and smoky. I think foil traps steam and makes the skin soggy.

I always pull mine at 115 then let it rest for 45 min.  During the break I heat up a Kettle with lump and get that thing at about 500 deg.  Back it the Kettlle offset for about 15 Min.  After the hot sear it's usually around 130.  Note,  I always do 7 bones so there is plenty of RED Meat in the center.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:40:25 PM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
A little Prime Rib TIP.  A friend of my wife is a restaurant inspector in NYC.  A very prestigious Steak House there rubs their PR with "Beef Base Paste" and then the herbs.  I've done it for the last 5 years and it's Fantastic.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
At 10:30am. I gave it a wet paste consisting of:
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 heping tbspoons of fresh chopped garlic
 Fresh rosemary spriggs finely chopped
Some basil flavored oilive oil
And my ssuper duper top secrect rub..

Put it 360 degrees of the roast, and back in the fridge it went..
Hoping is draws the flavors.. Will put it on smoker around 2:30 ish

Yep i took a pic, will upload it later
Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit