Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: FoodSaver Question  (Read 2502 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
FoodSaver Question
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:24:19 PM »
I'm cold smoking some cheese tonight and a coworker of mine is letting me use his FoodSaver V2461.  My question is not related to that cook but an upcoming one.  I've been volunteered to make some Beef Spare ribs for a NYE dinner party Wifey and I are going to.  Problem is I work until 4 that day. 

I wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off, but when my co-worker offered up his FoodSaver for the cheese it got me thinking.  I know many of you vac seal your leftovers and throw them in the freezer for later with what sounds like pretty good results when reheated.  Can I cook the ribs on Sunday, vac them up and leave them in the fridge for the 4 days before NYE or should I freeze them?  I rather not freeze them only to pull them back out to thaw in a day or so, but if it's a major violation to the Food Police I will.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: FoodSaver Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »
You should be fine sealing up the ribs then keeping them in the fridge for about a week (maybe even longer).  I'd make sure they are totally cooled or maybe even refridgerated before sealing them.  If you seal it up in smaller portions rather than bagging the entire rack, you can reheat them in the bags in a pot of hot water on low or close to low.  You don't want a rolling boil that could melt through the sealed portion of the bag.  I've reheated things this way several times now and it works great.

What's your plan for smoking the cheese?  I have several blocks of cheese and want to smoke them sometime this week.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
Thanks Mike.  That was my plan.  Just wanted some confirmation that I didn't have to freeze them.

Going to cold smoke the cheeses and then kick up the temp and do some almonds on my WSM.  The cheese shouldn't be too hard considering it 30 degrees outside right now.  Might play hell getting temps up to 250 to do the almonds.  Maybe I'll cold smoke those too and finish in the oven.

Going to do some blue cheese to pair with ribs at the NYE party.  Also some parmesean, gouda and a sharp cheddar.

Thinking 2-3 briquettes with a chunk or two of Apple wood should get me where I want to be.

First time trying it so I guess we'll see.  Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:04:01 AM »
@Russell C. - My Pleasure.  I actually used food saver bags to reheat some pork loin last night.  2 1" slices each in thier own bag, then simmered on low while I was cooking the rest of dinner.  It's the best way to reheat things without losing any moisture and they came out great.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:39:57 AM »
Thanks Mike.  That was my plan.  Just wanted some confirmation that I didn't have to freeze them.

Going to cold smoke the cheeses and then kick up the temp and do some almonds on my WSM.  The cheese shouldn't be too hard considering it 30 degrees outside right now.  Might play hell getting temps up to 250 to do the almonds.  Maybe I'll cold smoke those too and finish in the oven.

Going to do some blue cheese to pair with ribs at the NYE party.  Also some parmesean, gouda and a sharp cheddar.

Thinking 2-3 briquettes with a chunk or two of Apple wood should get me where I want to be.

First time trying it so I guess we'll see.  Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Russell,  I see you said you want to cold smoke some cheese for New Years Eve.  I would caution you that you'll probably need to let the smoked cheese sit for a few weeks (food saver sealed) before eating.  Otherwise, it's going to taste like licking an ash-tray.  I've seen this on a few sites, and actually tried it myself and I've found it to be true.  The cheese definitely needs some time to mellow.

Also, when you do smoke cheese, be sure to cut in pieces small enough to give it some exposure.  If you're buying the small (8 oz I think) Kraft chunks, you should be good as they are.  But if you're buying big bricks, you'll probably want to cut them down smaller before smoking to get a bit more flavor.  You also need to keep in mind the density of the cheese.  I've found that blue cheese is pretty dense so I cut into somewhat smaller pieces when smoking it.  Otherwise, you won't get much smoke flavor.  With regard to apple, I think you'll be good to go.  The fruit woods work nicely with cheese. 

Just wanted to pass on a few things that I've learned through my mistakes and successes smoking cheese.  For anyone who hasn't tried it, it's really worthwhile.  My wife's family has come to expect smoke cheese when I show up at family gatherings.  They especially enjoy smoked cheddar and smoked pepper jack.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the input @mcgolden   I smoked everything last night for about 3 hours which gives me 10 days in the fridge.  Hopefully that's enough.  The color change was pretty light so hopefully it's just a hint of smoke in the background.  I went ahead and cut everything in half before putting it on the smoker.  I figured that would allow the cheese more exposure to the smoke like you said.  It also allows me to let some age a little longer so I can see the difference.

Hopefully everything turns out.  I'll find out in 10 days!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:44:37 AM »
Good luck.  I'd be interested to know how it all turns out.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
Thanks for the input @mcgolden   I smoked everything last night for about 3 hours which gives me 10 days in the fridge.  Hopefully that's enough.  The color change was pretty light so hopefully it's just a hint of smoke in the background.  I went ahead and cut everything in half before putting it on the smoker.  I figured that would allow the cheese more exposure to the smoke like you said.  It also allows me to let some age a little longer so I can see the difference.

Hopefully everything turns out.  I'll find out in 10 days!

I always leave mine untouched in the fridge for 7 days after smoking. Always tastes great. You should have no problems.