Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flame broiled burgers?  (Read 3930 times)

effinUker

• WKC Brave
Flame broiled burgers?
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
Here's my dilemma. I got burgers nailed on the grill. N A I L E D. I turn out perfect grilled burgers every time.  :D

My wife is asking me for "flame broiled" burgers.  How the hell do I do that?  High heat, cooked farther away so they don't burn? In my flat rotisserie basket with a fire blazing? Wood instead of charcoal? I'm looking for any ideas ya'll can come up with.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Flame broiled burgers?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
Take her to Burger King …
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
I do it in the Summer. Make about 12-15 small chunks of wood.....about a quarter the size of your fist. Spread them in a pattern on your charcoal grate. Toss a bunch of charcoal on top and wait a few minutes for all of the chunks to flame. Grill your burgers with the lid off or set off kilter....you close the lid those flames will die.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
I'm kind of with @MacEggs    Give her the Burger King treatment.  Do you're NAILED burgers just like usual but swing by BK and get her a kings crown to wear!

What is the explanation she gives as far as how she thinks it should look when it's done?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
I do it in the Summer. Make about 12-15 small chunks of wood.....about a quarter the size of your fist. Spread them in a pattern on your charcoal grate. Toss a bunch of charcoal on top and wait a few minutes for all of the chunks to flame. Grill your burgers with the lid off or set off kilter....you close the lid those flames will die.

There we go, I can try that.

I'm kind of with @MacEggs    Give her the Burger King treatment.  Do you're NAILED burgers just like usual but swing by BK and get her a kings crown to wear!

What is the explanation she gives as far as how she thinks it should look when it's done?

I don't think it's how it looks - more like flame kissed as they cook. Like at Portillo's if you have one nearby or have ever been there. (I have a Portillo's hat she can wear instead of a crown - does that count?)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
Surprisingly enough I have a Portillo's about a mile from me so maybe I'll have to get a burger next time I go there. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
There's a Prtillo's is AZ?
Still need a 22” yellow

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »
My way of doing burgers is to fire up about 3/4 chimney of charcoal then put the hot coals on one side of the grill. I put the burgers on the other side and cook indirect for 3-6 minutes depending on the thickness of the burgers and the outside temps. I then take the lid off, stoak the coals, and let them get nice and hot again, about 3-4 minutes. Then the burgers go over the coals for about 2 minutes on each side. The fat dripping off the burgers flames the coals and the burgers have some nice color and marks.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
I think the way to do this would be to have the burger underneath the flame. Use lump (it ashes less, and any ash is just wood ash, not chemical ash from briquettes). Maybe use something like a splatter screen for deep frying to hold the raging hot lump 1/2-1" above the burger patty.

I think it's also possible with some creative setup like an elevated half rack above the cooking grate...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
@TheDude - Sure is. 2 of them!  In fact if you ever want to track me down, if the wind is blowing the right way you can might be able to smell my grill from the Portillo's in Scottsdale!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
A couple great ideas, thanks men. I've got some experimenting to do to get the result she's looking for.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
I’m thinking . . . . Grôund Bèef Brûlée ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:49 AM »
Im no expert on it, just a boring ol'fuck really, but my thought is you'll obviously have to do some experimenting to find exactly what works. I think if you start off with medium-high heat and a two zoner you can let the burgers get a flame job til they're about the way you want them to look then finish on the indirect.

Or maybe you can serve the burger flambé, with the meat on fire.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
just to stoke the coals....  (see what I did there)   If the wife is not happy with your burgers, did you really have it NAILED????

Sorry, not much else to add just trying to be funny.   I usually do burgers high heat, direct for about 4 minutes then flip.  Cook another few minutes.   Put cheese on and indirect heat until melted.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
I'm curious about these other "nailed" burgers, what's the secret there?