Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket on the Ranch  (Read 2341 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
Brisket on the Ranch
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »
13.5 lb packer. Went on at 0715.  Experimenting with a water bowl.  Haven't been getting a decent smoke ring when using the Ranch compared to a WSM or my UDS.

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Brisket on the Ranch
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
What kind of smoke are you using?  Brisket is one of the few meats I like using mesquite or hickory for.  I make sure I have enough chunks or chip piles to get good smoke for the first 4-6 hours as I think brisket absorbs smoke a lot longer than other meats (pork) does.  Can't wait to see how this turns out.  You are in for a long cook that is for sure.  I did a 4.5 pounder on Sunday.  Cut it in half so I had peices that had even thickness.  One took about an hour longer than the other.  It took me about 12 hours.  Pulled them at 195.  They were probe tender and turned out awesome.  My 4th time cooking brisket and the best results I've had so far.   If it took my 4.5 lber 12 hours and that was with it cut into two smaller chunks, you are in for long cook.  It will be interesting to see how long of a stall you have.  Smoke on!

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:26:15 AM »
Hey @MikeRocksTheRed  ,  This is my fourth brisket on the Ranch and the previous three have been awesome.  Just looking for a better ring.  Using Hickory chunks four buried in the basket and three on top. I cook in the 260-275 range and it usually probes in 8-10 hours.  I let it rest and when the temp drops to 170. I foil and let it sit in an ice chest for a couple hours.  I've had very good results for years with this method.  I think alot of guys don't let the brisket rest long enough.  More pics later but I won't even peek at it until 3:00.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
I always use a water pan, so maybe that will be the key to a good smoke ring!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
It seems like you have been turning out some great briskets!
If you are looking for a better smoke ring the water bowl is a good addition.
I know you mentioned you are not a peeker but for a better smoke ring I would recommend spritzing the brisket early and often. I would spray it down every hour the first 4 hours.  After the first few hours the brisket stops absorbing smoke and smoke ring causing gasses. By keeping the outside moist you will get more smoke and smoke ring causing gasses to stick and give you that nice smoke ring. I agree with the "if you are lookin you ain't cooking theory" but I would give it a try and see if your ring is better or worse.

Also what type of fuel are you using? Lump or briquettes?

This is my best ring to date. It looks photo shopped or something!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:29:03 AM by Tommy B »
Hotty Toddy!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »
Celery salt and celery powder have naturally occurring nitrites in them. You can cheat a smoke ring by adding some to your rub. The smoke ring comes from nitric oxide in smoke reacting with myoglobin in the meat. The result is the same and the chemical reaction is similar.

The guys at ChefSteps get a smoke ring on smokerless, sous vide brisket by adding some curing salt to their brine, which again is the same process https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

Still though, a real, honest to goodness smoke ring is pretty hard to beat when you pull your meat out of the smoker. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
@Tommy B   that smoke ring is sick!!!!!!!  In my UDS no matter I cook the Ring is always profound.  It like creates it's own mini atmosphere in there.  The Ranch cooks dry.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
@fedex that was a really weird brisket. The part of the brisket to the right was very tender and had a lot of moisture. The part of the right was dry and didn't slice well. You can tell the difference in the picture. But yea that was the craziest smoke ring I had ever cooked!
Hotty Toddy!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
That was quick.  Probe tender at 198 d.  Foiled and toweled and in the ice chest took 6:00

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
Damn, that was quick!  Now we wait for the smoke ring pic!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I've heard, don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard putting the meat on cold helps with the smoke ring. I've always put my meat on cold, out of the fridge, and I feel like I get pretty decent smoke rings.

Just something I've heard, and seems to work for me.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
Sometimes UPS nails it..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:47 PM »
enough already!  Lets see the sliced meat pics!!!!!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
The Flat was a little dry on the fire side.  Good smoke great taste and very moist. The Point is spot on.  Good eatn.

Not much of a smoke ring though.

Thanks for looking

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
@fedex where's the beef??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ