Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm Looking for New Brine Recipes.  (Read 2523 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
I'm Looking for New Brine Recipes.
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:31:52 AM »
I've brined plenty of birds, pork and fish but there's always room for improvement so if you'd like to share your favorite brine recipe I'd be interested .

Also anyone interested in doing a Turkey Cook off / Throwdown ? I think it would be fun :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: I'm Looking for New Brine Recipes.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
Ida is looking for brine recipes as he's initiating a turkey cook off, any one else find that suspicious?!?!

;D :o ::) 8)

I would love to take part in a turkey throw down!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:18 AM »
Disclaimer: This is not my recipe, I found it on this site quite a while ago and snapped a pic with my phone. Thanks to the OP of this recipe!

1 gallon warm water
3/4 cup kosher salt
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil

I have used it a bunch of times, with chicken, and it is very tasty! Having said that, I would also like to try something new.

8)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
As far as recipes I've actually gone away from adding aromatics to brines and I just make sure to nicely season the outside of the meat. According to Meathead/AmazingRibs flavorings don't make a difference. I haven't tested myself but I've had some awesome food that was just brined in salt and sugar and had a great rub on the outside.

I've been dry brining a lot lately (salting meat a few hours up to overnight before cooking). When I wet brine I use an equilibrium brine now https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/equilibrium-brining and I think it works really well. I guess those are more techniques than recipes.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
   I was actually thinking about a beer brine for one of the turkeys I get this year , anyone ever done this with turkey? I use beer a lot in cooking , but it never dawned on me to make a brine with it. There's certainly enough beers out there that would would add great flavor to a bird , I'm kinda excited to try it

http://www.homebrewchef.com/BeerBrinedTurkey.html

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
I did this brine below on a pork tenderloin over the weekend. Holy crap it was good! I then glazed the tenderloin with dijon mustard and brown sugar at the end. Definitely a keeper..

1 quart cold water
  1/4 cup salt
  1/3 cup maple syrup
  3 cloves garlic, crushed
  3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
  2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
  1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless pork loin roast
  salt and freshly ground black pepper

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »

Also anyone interested in doing a Turkey Cook off / Throwdown ? I think it would be fun :)

Umm...let me think...YES!

Even though I'd have to work it around thanksgiving, my FIL will require his traditional oven roasted bird.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
I was all geared up to do a turkey for thanksgiving, but I was informed by the Girlfriend and my Sisters that I had to cook my Dad's 25 year traditional fried turkey, and, well....hard to say no to that.
I do have a brine to share.
My pork tenderloin brine.
1qt water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/8 cup whole peppercorns, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Warm in pot til all dissolved. Throw in a whole sliced sweet onion and brine for 12-24 hours. Follow with your favorite rub then smoke em how ya like em.
Tender, juicy and apparently good enough to not have leftovers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »

I was all geared up to do a turkey for thanksgiving, but I was informed by the Girlfriend and my Sisters that I had to cook my Dad's 25 year traditional fried turkey, and, well....hard to say no to that.
I do have a brine to share.
My pork tenderloin brine.
1qt water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/8 cup whole peppercorns, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Warm in pot til all dissolved. Throw in a whole sliced sweet onion and brine for 12-24 hours. Follow with your favorite rub then smoke em how ya like em.
Tender, juicy and apparently good enough to not have leftovers!

Cook 2 turkeys. Maybe your family will like the one you do on the grill and you can start a new tradition!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
   I was actually thinking about a beer brine for one of the turkeys I get this year , anyone ever done this with turkey? I use beer a lot in cooking , but it never dawned on me to make a brine with it. There's certainly enough beers out there that would would add great flavor to a bird , I'm kinda excited to try it

Followed the link and read the article. Good idea. What the fella says about cutting the time if using Stout or Porter makes sense too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
I thought about it, but it's extremely difficult to top my Dad's fried turkey technique lol. Guess my family expects me to fill the shoes he left behind,  but if I know my dad he would say " If ya cook it longer, ya get to drink more beer" lol.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
Fried turkey is great. I don't think it's even fair to compare it to kettle smoked turkey. Not that it's better, they are just so different.

I would definitely try to go the 2 bird route. A couple smaller ones is usually better than one big one anyways.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
I'm Looking for New Brine Recipes.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »

Google Beer N Butter Poultry Injection (Food.com) Not a brine, but awesome injection for turkey and chicken

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »

Google Beer N Butter Poultry Injection (Food.com) Not a brine, but awesome injection for turkey and chicken

Thanks Brother !

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
Not traditional but lately I've been brining my whole chickens in ginger beer with jerk spice and lime juice. I do 1 1/2 cans of ginger beer and 3/4 of a cup of jerk spice and 2 table spoons of kosher salt and the juice of half a lime in a freezer bag for each chicken. I leave them for a day usually, two if I can fight the urge not to cook it. Pat them dry and cover them with my dry jerk mix and let the birds hang out uncovered in the fridge for at least two hours. I've been wanting to make a jerk turkey for a while now. Not sure if my measurements classify what I'm doing as a marinade over a brine but when I cut into the cooked bird golden gingery sap pours out by the cup full.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:28:28 PM by AcrossFromHoss »
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe