Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bavarian Corned Beef Brisket Sammies  (Read 2760 times)

SixZeroFour

Bavarian Corned Beef Brisket Sammies
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »
I picked this up a couple weeks ago but really wasn't sure the best way to cook it... so... time to call in the reinforcements! 8)

@MrHoss @Idahawk were the poor folks assaulted with all my questions and they didn't disappoint. Thanks again fella's!

Other misc. items for tonight's cook. Missing from the photo are 2 sweet onions and some garlic.

The package instructions said to boil the brisket but that wasn't going to happen so I gave it a really quick rinse and pat dry then sprinkled the peppercorn packet overtop. It was then placed in the WSM with some scotch barrel chunks (Cheers again Hoss!) and was smoked at 230 deg for about 4 hours. Two sweet onions were also tossed down in the basement to cook on the coals for the last hour and a half. These will be used a bit later on...

About 3 hours in I started to cut up some of the garlic for the braise. This was locally grown Russian garlic and the cloves were near golf ball sized! 

It smells amazing...

Once the meat probe read 155 deg. the brisket was pulled off the smoker and placed into a roasting pot with a can of beer, the monster cloves and the melted internals of the two sweet onions. That Bavaria was a tall boy so I was forced to finish off the remainder... and one or two more... the things I do for B-B-Q! ;)

Back onto the WSM it goes! I cranked up the heat to about 275 and let it braise.

Once the brisket was probing tender and up to 200 deg. internal it was pulled off once again... I wish I could bottle the smell associated with this picture and sell it as a cologne 8)

Foiled, Toweled, and into the microwave for an hour long nap.

Finally! It's time to get eating!

I sliced it up into about 1/8"-1/4" slabs and of course performed one or two quality control tests :)

And finally here is the final creation! Not exactly traditional - but absolutely delicious!! The texture was perfect, nice and moist and loaded with flavour [emoji106]

I had it on a toasted soft potato roll with some jack cheese and a little hit of Sweet Baby Rays and it was perfect - I wont change a single thing next time around!

Thank you both again for your help, I know it wouldn't have come out this good just winging it on my own! Even the leftovers are already history 8)

Cheers for looking!

Matt

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bavarian Corned Beef Brisket Sammies
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »
Nice write up, great pictures and the corned beef look awesome!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
Nice job Matt, I'm glad you just dive in there and try new stuff all the time . It's the best way to learn. :)

That sandwich looks legit !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
Baby!!! I'm hungry now. Glad it turned out so good Matt.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »
That looks fantastic. I only see corned beef flats around here and the point looks like it is much more juicy.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »
Looks phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 03:05:48 PM »
Wow, great post and great cook!
Glad to finally see that sweet ass custom wsm set up in a post! I feel like we haven't seen it cook yet, you should throw that one into the mod month tread!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:44:24 AM »
I got a couple corned beefs in the freezer. Last one I did on the grill was a bit (a LOT) dry. The braise after the smoke looks perfect! Gotta try it.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:17 AM »
That looks delicious!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
Corned beef, smoked with wood from a scotch barrel. Brilliant.
Still need a 22” yellow

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
Daaaaaaaammmmnnnn that looks good.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Can't imagine too many old barrels are shipped over from Scotland. The few of you that have some are very lucky. I've been looking since I saw you guys post that truckload of wood, a while back. No luck so far.
Still need a 22” yellow

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Can't imagine too many old barrels are shipped over from Scotland. The few of you that have some are very lucky. I've been looking since I saw you guys post that truckload of wood, a while back. No luck so far.

I like your handle. PM sent.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"