Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Share your charcoal set up for ribs  (Read 5073 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Share your charcoal set up for ribs
« on: September 05, 2015, 03:36:59 AM »
I typically run a snake @ 275 for my ribs. While this method is pretty straight forward and temps are easy to maintain, I think trying something new would be fun.

It seems using a charcoal basket or banked coals could be nice since there isn't a need to rotate the grate; however will temps be more difficult to maintain or is reloading fuel become a chore?

Share your experience and comment on trade offs you've observed..

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Share your charcoal set up for ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »
This is my typical set up for ribs.

I do what I like to call the corner burn. I'll fill up up one basket with coals and what ever wood chucks you like, except leave one corner empty. Lite up about 10 or so coals and dump them that open corner, it'll burn like a mini menion method.

I never count the number of lit coals, and if some spill over to the sides, that's okay. This will get the kettle up to temp pretty fast, so once it starts approaching desired temp (275-300 is okay by me) I shut the bottoms vents to almost completely closed. If you want lower temps, just start with fewer lit coals, it'll just take a little longer to come up to temp.

This will hold temp for plenty of time to cook a rack of ribs and I've never had to refill or add coals. In fact the first time I did it I think I added more coals just to be safe but it turned out I didn't need to, and never have since.

Here's some ribs about mid to end cook, you can kinda tell there is plenty of coals left, and see where some had spilt over the edge when I dumped them.

I love the way the ribs come out like this. I don't wrap them, but I do like to mop them with a vinegar sauce after the bark is set.

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »
That looks similar to my usual setup for ribs.  The only difference is that I don't use the basket, but may start. I have a couple of bricks wrapped in foil and just bank them on the side. It's never let me down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
I get great results with ribs using the basket, mop with apple juice or vinegar mixed 50% with apple juice. With the 3 daisy vent kettle I close 2 of the vents and start with 1 vent half open and adjust the vent as necessary and can contain 250 degrees with no problem until it burns out.  I like the Grill Mates Slow & Low Memphis Pit BBQ Rub but I am always looking for something better. Stubbs Sticky Sweet sauce is great on ribs.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
Perfect timing on this thread. Doing my first ribs on Monday. Was gonna use a rib rack and cut the racks in 1/2 to avoid having to rotate. Thoughts?
Still need a 22” yellow

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
I've been doing my first ribs ever on the WSM today...it's been sitting between 250 and 275 since 12:30 PST today.  Started off using the minion method, as it seemed easiest.  So far, loving it.  taking the skirt and some of the non-bony part from the breastbone and smoking it in the performer.  I'll show pics later tonight.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
Perfect timing on this thread. Doing my first ribs on Monday. Was gonna use a rib rack and cut the racks in 1/2 to avoid having to rotate. Thoughts?
How many racks and what size kettle are you using? I thought using the rib rack would negate cutting them in half..

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
Two racks, on a 22". With a snake, you'd still have to rotate. I'm thinking minion now though. @jdefran
Still need a 22” yellow

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
That's what I'm doing but on a 26er. I think you could use the rib rack without cutting em in half and use a basket for a mini minion type set up. Since I have more space I think I can get away with laying my flat on the grate.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
That's what I'm doing but on a 26er. I think you could use the rib rack without cutting em in half and use a basket for a mini minion type set up. Since I have more space I think I can get away with laying my flat on the grate.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm going for the bend, rather than temp. Hard to do with a 1/2 rack. @jdefran
Still need a 22” yellow

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm going for the bend, rather than temp. Hard to do with a 1/2 rack. @jdefran

I've never used temp for ribs, bend like you mention and how much the meat has recessed from the bones are my guidelines.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
About that. Bone end up, or down?
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Some possibilities.....snake is always one.....or two snakes....

....short, opposite directions, start with the strip over the blank area & move (rotate) toward the burnt charcoal......the other end will do the same & you're never over a burn area.....seems to work pretty good....

More racks, then off to the side............sort of Minion, but maybe adding some coals in late in the cook....?

I remember these ones....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
in the wsm, I go minion method. on the performer, charcoal  basket on each side with slab in the middle.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
Snake with a waterpan for me

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:11:05 PM by Johnpv »