Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket bones  (Read 2787 times)

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Brisket bones
« on: August 10, 2015, 12:17:40 AM »
I don’t recall ever hearing anyone talk about them here and to be honest, I had never
heard of them before when a package of them showed up at the house last month.
I turned to the interweb for such info as what are they and how do ya cook whatever
hell they are. The first package of Brisket bones turned out pretty good but I didn’t
really document them as I wanted to make sure this was a product that is readily
available (Wally World for one place) before posting anything, these are the
second package of Brisket bones I have cooked.

Here they are dressed for dinner with Big Kahuna rub and Dry Rib rub from the guy’s at
Rub’s and More

The 3x2 snake burning counterclockwise with a nice chunk of maple for smoke. I set
the first 3 rows as a single layer for lighting purposes so it would get up to temp before
the wood got to smoking and the meat went on.

The Brisket Bones starting the process.

About an hour in.

Just a shot of the used smoke..

About 2 hours in and I might have waited about 15 minutes to long before foiling them
so it would render more of the fat out of it.

I found I have to treat them sort of like a pulled pork as there a quite a few pieces of
cartilage and bone ends but there are basically nice thick slabs of tasty porkiness
in a couple of spots. The round end on the right that is pointing towards you is a
chunk that is about three quarters of an inch thick by four inches wide and five or so
inches long of solid meat and tender as can be.

The plated pork goodness with a side of Reser's Smokehouse BBQ Beans and a
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit. So good. I had to remake my plate as I was about
half way through the first one when I was asked if I got any plated images ;)

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brisket bones
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:40:07 AM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:36:55 AM »
When I first read the title of the thread, I assumed it was beef … but the "bones" part didn't make sense to me.  ???

Then saw the pics …  Ah, yes, the cut-off part from a St. Louis rib cut.  I like to call it brisket, too.  So, these were sold separate from the STL cut?

One of my favourite parts of the pig to cook.  Looks delicious!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
Nice cook Mirkwood!  I don't think I have seen that cut before.

Is that Big Kahuna Original, or Big Kahuna BBQ?  Have not tried the BKW products yet - you like?

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »
Yeah, I missed the pork part in the beginning, then I saw the CCW burn and assumed pork   8)

The last time I had a meat cutter at the local supermarket cut some ribs up for me, he called that part brisket as well.

Looks good no matter what you call it.

Dude, relax your chicken.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
When I first read the title of the thread, I assumed it was beef … but the "bones" part didn't make sense to me.  ???
Thanks MacEggs.
That is exactly what I thought the first time I saw them too, The package actually says "Brisket bones" on it.
To me it looks like the breast bone (sternum) is cut in half and you are right, the trimmings from St.Louis
style ribs. I was totally surprised by how good these really are, considering what an inexpensive cut of pork it is,
like about $1.80 a pound or so..

Nice cook Mirkwood!  I don't think I have seen that cut before.
Is that Big Kahuna Original, or Big Kahuna BBQ?  Have not tried the BKW products yet - you like?
Winz

Thanks Winz.
I found them a Wally World. The rub is made sorta local to me (Fair Oaks) and sold online and in their store.
I am starting to like it the more I use it

Yeah, I missed the pork part in the beginning, then I saw the CCW burn and assumed pork   8)
Looks good no matter what you call it.

Thanks Dazzo.
One must adhere to the 1buckie laws of bbq and use the correct directional heating layout. ;).
I was pleasantly surprised by the amount and quality of meat in these things.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
Yeah.....brisket bones....some call them "rib tips".....

These were .99 / lb. at the corner grocery (Sav-Mart) ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/rib-tips/msg94145/#msg94145

They are real good & a lot of meat in there, esp. if they cut some lunker spares to get them......

Personally, I think we have BBQ TV to thank for these showing up more & more as the comps almost  all use "St. Louis" cut & so people go looking for that in the stores........

Excellent looking cookup man !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:35:32 PM »
Yeah.....brisket bones....some call them "rib tips".....

These were .99 / lb. at the corner grocery (Sav-Mart) ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/rib-tips/msg94145/#msg94145

They are real good & a lot of meat in there, esp. if they cut some lunker spares to get them......

Personally, I think we have BBQ TV to thank for these showing up more & more as the comps almost  all use "St. Louis" cut & so people go looking for that in the stores........

Excellent looking cookup man !!!!

Thanks Buckie, I did a search for "brisket bones' and drew a blank and yer link shows me why, didn't think of
searching for "rib tip" posts, I'm thinking these are going to be showing up on the menu around here more often..