Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FOUR :: July 4th, 2015 :.  (Read 15105 times)

effinUker

• WKC Brave
Re: WKC 2015 Summer eCook DAY FOUR!: July 4th, 2015:
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 04:26:06 AM »
Here's my cookup for July 4th. Just close family this year, not a housefull like some of ya, but still was a great time.

I started out with a variant of ABT's. This was inspired by a family recipe we call "good bread" - it's a simple thing you make with canned biscuits. Dip them in butter, roll them in a mixture of grated parmesan cheese, diced green peppers, diced onions, and crumble bacon. Line them standing up side by side in a loaf pan & bake 'til the biscuits are done. (it takes 2 whole cans of biscuits to make 1 loaf),

Anyway, the good bread inspired me to make peppers. I started out with sweet peppers, cleaned out the stems & seeds, and a super thick slice of onion, right out of the middle.

Took 2 tablespoons of butter, and with the back of a spoon, I mixed in as much parmesan cheese as i could get mixed into the butter.

Smeared the butter cheese mixture in the peppers, and added shaved parmesan cheese too just in case.

BIG chunks of onions on top of the parm...

black pepper (it just sounded right)

wrapped in bacon @1buckie style, and on the grill. I used a full large chimney of Royal Oak briquettes for this cook.

about 20 minutes in, I rolled them in more grated parmesan, just to give them a crust.

about 30 minutes they were done, the cheese soaked up some of the bacon juice, and got crispy.

Reworked the grill so I could cook our meal... We have Johnsonville brats, Meijer Brats, and Meijer's certified angus ground chuck burgers.

My wife handled the sides.. a broccoli ranch salad...

Mom did the cukes & onions...

Here's my plate...

And here's one happy granddaughter...

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: WKC 2015 Summer eCook DAY FOUR!: July 4th, 2015:
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 06:07:11 AM »
Because I was traveling over the 4th holiday, I wasn't sure I was going to get to participate.  However, my buddy threw a big party and he just happens to be the owner of the very first Weber I ever rescued, a blue SS performer that was spray painted black when I got it.  It matches his own blue OTG:

For a big party, Paella is a fun dish to cook.  Rendering the fat out of the spanish chorizo:

Precooking the chicken with a paprika based rub

Time to cook the sofretto (tomatoes, onions, garlic, flat leaf parsley cooked until slightly caramelized)

Next comes the rice and chicken broth with saffron

Chicken back in with shrimp and scallops

And then topped with lemon and peas.  The payoff:

It was great to get a chance to cook on my very first WKC RRR kettle.  We fed 25 people with Paella and pulled pork sandwiches.

Winz

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:09:32 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

SixZeroFour

Re: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FOUR :: July 4th, 2015 :.
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
^^ Outstanding Winz - that looks incredible!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 06:24:56 AM »
Barely snuck in a cook last night after my buddies party. Brined a bunch of legs in brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and a few dashes of Worcester sauce. Came out very tender, with some Mac on the side.

Simple rub inside and out

The blue ss gets the call

45 min check measured 150, almost there

And there

I went in for a 3rd leg, they were so good!

Washed it all down with a few cold ones
WTB: Genesis Jr.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
.: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FOUR :: July 4th, 2015 :.
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »
I am getting in my pics from the 4th a little late. I am at my inlaws with a weber OTS and an old portable kitchen to use. I smoked some ribs on the 3rd, some dogs and sausage for lunch on the 4th, and pulled pork for dinner.

My grilling view

The ribs

Starting the pork butt

A few hours in

Cooking lunch

Put foil on the grate because it was so rusty. It had been in a shed unused for over 7 years exposed to the salty air

Corn.

Pork after a 5 hour rest. It was finished around 2 and I wrapped it and rested it until dinner

The spread

My plate

Fireworks

Happy 4th everyone. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:33:11 AM by tb80 »
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
A classic cabbage

There's more than one way to stuff a pepper (Hot cheddar beer cheese in some & TexMex sour cream "dip" the rest) that's to wrap

Rained ALL AM, while prepping then I was in production mode & no cook pics until I was pulling off..

Nieces loved the bbq chicken quarters & coal onions, the ABTs were a hit w/all but one (more on later...)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Craig

• WKC Mod
.: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FOUR :: July 4th, 2015 :.
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
It was a busy day yesterday. We did Burgers, dogs, chicken drumsticks, pork ribs, beef short ribs, two pork butts. Family reunion was a great time. Ok on to the pics

Beef short ribs.

Pork ribs on the CB stacker. 70s era rib rack is amaze-balls!

Like an idiot I didn't take pics of the spread (one of my relatives did so I'll get one from them)

Grillfellas bottle rocket launcher [emoji23]

Clearing the cul de sac for "nighttime fireworks show"

The reunion was a great success, it was fun to cook and make new family memories. Not pictures was the drumsticks on the yellow. [emoji35] I forgot. The Wood Dale red served as the "warmer" for the burgers and dogs and chicken. Everyone loved the food, were blown away by seeing so many kettles (they saw my garage too) My cousin mentioned that with the food being as good as it was, it justifies my owning so many grills. [emoji106]🏻
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:15:59 AM by Craig »

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »
Wow everyone's cooks look great !
We smoked a whole shoulder/leg ,
Took about 14 hours on the 22 wsm.
Only got a few pics got busy playing games and drinking , not shown 3 grills with mushrooms , abts , and bacon wrapped asparagus.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
@Craig you sure did things up right!! Wow!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
@sparky

Good to see you !!!!

Great cookup and Craig !!!!!

Classic Kettles, classic cookups, all in for a giant meal.....way to hum buddy !!!!

tb80 & M. Mike....also killer cookups !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
My cousin mentioned that with the food being as good as it was, it justifies my owning so many grills.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Way to stand up for us multiple grill owners Craig. I figure the more folks who actually understand our sickness the better.

Beauty cookup and collection too bye the way.

@effinUker - love that last shot. Like your Parmesan poppers too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:08:24 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
@tb80 What a feast! And a great set of photos as well - thanks!

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »

@tb80 What a feast! And a great set of photos as well - thanks!

Thanks.  And thanks 1buckie too. It was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
Keeping it simple on the Fourth...

Dude, relax your chicken.

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
I didn't do anything to fancy. Just some baby backs.

Here's the raw product, after having been rubbed and refrigerated overnight.

Here they are right after putting them on the grill. I had a mix of hickory and apple chunks sitting on top of my charcoal snake to provide that yummy smoke. That's some trimmings on there with the ribs. I was fixing some beans, and I was going to cook the trimmings and chop it up to add to the beans.

Two hours into the cook

This is my copper OTG, Penny, just smoking away. Get it, she's copper, and I named her Penny. Penny. Copper. Get it?

Here's the ribs after I've sauced them and right before pulling them from the grill. I used the Memphis-style sauce recipe from Serious Eats.

Finally, a plate with some ribs, tangy apple slaw, and beans. I had some pulled pork from a previous smoke in the beans. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't add the pulled pork.