Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kalua pork test cook  (Read 3144 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Kalua pork test cook
« on: June 21, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »
We'll see if this works. I've always wanted to try and bbq a kalua pork. This is a good first cook on the WSM I picked up yesterday.

Put it on this morning at 6a. I'm going to do a 2-3 hours of mesquite smoke at low temp then wrap in banana leaves and finish the cook. All I had was black Hawaiian Sea Salt. I didn't want to go to the store and get the Pink Hawaiian Sea Salt. Hopefully it'll work out.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kalua pork test cook
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
Just wrapped it up. I saw the plastic wrap on a Ballistic BBQ YouTube vid. Figured I'd try that.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
I'm looking forward to the results! What cut of pork did you use and did you follow a recipe?
Growing family = growing kettles!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to the results! What cut of pork did you use and did you follow a recipe?

Didn't follow a recipe. Researched different method and did it my way. ;)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
Here it is. The banana leaves add a subtle flavor. The pork is definitely moist. Pulled it off the wsm at 201*. Let it sit for an hour and pulled it. I drained all the juice into a fat separator and added some back in after shredding. I think I could have added more salt rub to the pork. Here it is in a slider roll with Hawaiian style mac salad.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:51:56 PM »
Nice cook and pics. I love hawaiian food esp kalua pork.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »
Very nice! We're the banana leaves hard to find?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
Looks tasty!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:40 AM »
Great looking pp there!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »
Looks like a great meal.  Interesting wrapping in the banana leaf like that.  Would be something different that I would lover to try sometime.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:45:49 PM »
I just got back from two weeks in Hawaii...LOVED the kalua pork.  I'll have to try this.  @Nate Where did you get the banana leaves?
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
@crowderjd  I got the banana leaves at an Asian grocery. It was in the freezer section. The leaves I got were full leaves so I trimmed one down for the pork shoulder above. It came with several in the package. They come in a large flat package with the leaves folded up. Kind of like how tortillas are packaged but in much larger. The leaves have a unique smell and flavor when cooked.

I didn't use pink Hawaiian sea salt on this test cook since I didn't have any. I used black Hawaiian sea salt.  One thing I should have done was was add twice as much salt than I did. I actually added more after pulling.

I actually have family (my mom's cousin) on Oahu that do traditional Hawaiian bbq catering. Their Kailua pork and laulau is great, at least the couple of times I've had it.  Of course they cook it the traditional way. Maybe I'll need to see what they season theirs with.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
That looks awesome!!!  Brings back memories.
When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks on Oahu, I lived off post with a bunch of locals.  We would do a pig roast every new years day.  They stuffed hot rocks into the armpit and groin, wrapped the pig in Taro leaves (they are the leaf on the 25th Infantry division patch) and buried it in the ground for hours. (I forget how long now though).  I remember that it was called Kailua Pig if it was buried.  Another year we had it on a rotisserie ALL DAY long. But I forget what the locals called that way.

Anyway great looking cook!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the info @Nate!  I'm sure I'll be able to find some banana leaves close by.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

AZ_K_GURL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
I've never made kalua pork before but I did grow up on Maui and probably over ate this stuff. I remember they used whole ginger root and garlic and that have it a lot of flavor.  I might have to give it a shot one of these days.  Hawaiian food is the best and I can't find any in AZ

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk