Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First GA cook  (Read 1703 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
First GA cook
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »
Digging through the garage today, I came across a P code GA I picked up on CL around this time last year that I had completely forgot about.  Original owner bought it to use for camping thinking it was the propane model.  He quickly figured out his folly, but never bothered taking it back.  He just stored it in his garage and forgot about it for a couple decades.  I had never really considered getting a GA, but for $5.00 it was more than worth it for the handles!  Anyway, I came across it tonight while digging out another grill and decided to give her a whirl instead.

I was actually really impressed.  I was only doing a couple brats and dogs for the wife and kiddos but it did the job nicely.  I used about a half a chimney of KBB which was way more fuel than I needed for this cook.  A third or even less would have been perfect.  However I did like how close you could get the fuel to the top grate.  This thing has ultra high temp steak searing written all over it!  Might have to pick up a nice Fathers Day Cowboy ribeye and put her to the test this weekend.

Here's a few pics.  Nothing fancy, but had a lot of fun trying the GA for the first time.

Can't imagine how a grill could get forgotten in this mess.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: First GA cook
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
nice collection! The GA does well for brats, dogs, and burgers.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:32 PM »
I used to hate my GA. Similar story. Brand new N code given to me by a relative a few years ago. Used it and used way too fuel, couldn't control the temp, etc. Then I got smart. I barely use any fuel in it and it's awesome. The compact chimney starter helps.

More importantly, sweet collection!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Excellent! I love my GA. It's a great little cooker.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
I have been contemplating getting one.  Nice collection!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:48:17 AM »
anticipating the "Cowboy ribeye" pics to come...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
I love any story that begins with "I found a grill I forgot I had"....  ;-) 

And wow, I think I need to make room for a GA.  I thought I saw one on the curb this week, but it turned out to be a Char-Broil gas version-- I swear it had the same dimensions and proportions as a Weber GA. 
One of the charcoal people.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:19 AM »
You are so right about it being a sear station beast, I had a CGA back in the 90's that I wore out camping.
10~15 coals are all you really need to cook anything. Loved tailgating at the drive in with that thing too.

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..