Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork chop suggestions for a somewhat noob  (Read 4997 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Pork chop suggestions for a somewhat noob
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »
Never done chops on a grill. Tips? Suggestions?
Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork chop suggestions for a somewhat noob
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
I have marinated chops in Italian dressing with good results, i also have just coated them with EVOO and some seasoning to taste.  I will set up my grill with a two zone fire and will do a reverse sear (put the chops over the cooler zone and when close to being done throw it over the hot zone to sear it) many different ways to do them is half the fun!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:39:25 AM »
I like dusting them with some onion flakes, course salt, fresh black pepper, doing a reverse sear, and pulling in the mid 145ish for temp followed by a rest-the new guidelines generally say that pork is fully cooked by that point and is very juicy.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:17:32 AM »
Both of those inputs are real good ^^^^^^^

You can even go to 140 & let them skate up to 145 after they're off the cooker.....a tiny bit of pink is stillOK......pork is much better handled than when the "cooking 'till dried out" standards were in place.....

also brined helps with moisture retention......a little extra work, but man....really helps with low fat content stuff like pork chop, loin & chicken breast, whole chicken.......

Usually, fairly high heat, but indirect, maybe a sear like Ron says is how it would go here......time is realative, depending on size & bone or not & actual cut..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »
If you have a mortar and pestle one of my favorite things to do with lean pork is to grind up a few cloves of garlic with some kosher salt until it turns into a paste then throw some rosemary, thyme, and pepper into the mix and grind it up. Add olive oil to double the mixture and then paint it on the chops and let them sit for a while (30+ minutes).

If you don't have a mortar and pestle you could use a food processor or crush the garlic and mince it. It just won't have the same smooth consistency.

If they're pretty thin I'd go direct medium heat to get a nice brown with out scorching the garlic-- if they're thicker I'd do medium high indirect heat and finish with a reverse sear.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
If you have a mortar and pestle one of my favorite things to do with lean pork is to grind up a few cloves of garlic with some kosher salt until it turns into a paste then throw some rosemary, thyme, and pepper into the mix and grind it up. Add olive oil to double the mixture and then paint it on the chops and let them sit for a while (30+ minutes).

If you don't have a mortar and pestle you could use a food processor or crush the garlic and mince it. It just won't have the same smooth consistency.

If they're pretty thin I'd go direct medium heat to get a nice brown with out scorching the garlic-- if they're thicker I'd do medium high indirect heat and finish with a reverse sear.

Thanks guys. Was thinking reverse sear. Also didn't know a little pink was ok. This garlic paste sounds delicious.
Still need a 22” yellow

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
I agree .... that garlic paste is gonna get used A LOT!!   thanks @AJ328 ...... me like garlic!!   ;D

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »
I marinate my pork chops in Worcestershire sauce and granulated garlic powder for about 3 hours then grill.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:56 AM »
I agree .... that garlic paste is gonna get used A LOT!!   thanks @AJ328 ...... me like garlic!!   ;D

It's a great method and I highly recommend a mortar and pestle. It's one of those things you don't think you'll use, but once you start cooking with fresh herbs it's invaluable.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
looks pretty good, so how was it?

Grilled chops are the bomb !!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
Thanks. Came out great. Marinated in soy, honey and garlic. Reverse seared with hickory chips.
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
It looks like some char on the edges.....I like that, but if anyone you're cooking for is not so hep to the flavor, back off the honey a little.....the sugar is what burns......same thing can happen with rubs even on a large piece......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
"I think I need more kettles…'

Just noticed this....... 8)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
The key to pork chop is picking the right cut which is the rib bone cut..not the t bone cut.  Rib bone cut offers morenfat..basically the best rib bone ..better than pork rib cuts.  Salt brine for an hr and then..dry rub..i direct heat cook about five minutes on each side..when you see juice ooolimg onbthe chop ..it is ready to pull off grill...juicy and tender..light pink is perfect
Grills