0 (0%)
Blue wave
1 (2.2%)
Teal
2 (4.3%)
Other color
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Kettle color  (Read 14975 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle color
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
I should just redo the poll anyway. We should first have a consensus of what colors are available, then we could do a poll. We need more catalogs from years past to see what was offered.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:52 AM »
Here are what I think I read as all the colors listed in this thread along with some of the dates I could decipher.
If you can think of any dates or corrections I can add to this and make a master list of the colors. Then we could get a thread started with this and add photos. It would be good to get the colors and dates. Oh, and I'm sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but it seems an appropriate thread to get this done.

Red (Outlaw red, Redhead).
Red (with smoked edges).
Brick Red. ?-Present
Burgundy.
Brown.
Copper Mist (Brownie, Chocolate, 2 Tone). ’69-?
Black. ?-Present
Gray.
Yellow. ’62-’65 and ’73-?
Ivory.
Lemongrass (Primrose).
Spring Green.
Avocado (Cado). ’65?-’68?-’74?
Lime (Limey). ’74?-
Dark Green. ’79-Present
Blue Wave.
Teal.
Turquoise.
Sea Foam.
Glen-Blue. ’64-’67
Dark Blue. ’79-Present.
Copper (Target).
Chestnut-Coppertone (Boobie Pink). ’68-?
Pink.

If y'all keep giving the data, I'll keep it updated for a start of a new thread.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:13 AM »
Here are what I think I read as all the colors listed in this thread along with some of the dates I could decipher.
If you can think of any dates or corrections I can add to this and make a master list of the colors. Then we could get a thread started with this and add photos. It would be good to get the colors and dates. Oh, and I'm sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but it seems an appropriate thread to get this done.

Red (Outlaw red, Redhead).
Red (with smoked edges).
Brick Red. ?-Present
Burgundy.
Brown.
Copper Mist (Brownie, Chocolate, 2 Tone). ’69-?
Black. ?-Present
Gray.
Yellow. ’62-’65 and ’73-?
Ivory.
Lemongrass (Primrose).
Spring Green.
Avocado (Cado). ’65?-’68?-’74?
Lime (Limey). ’74?-
Dark Green. ’79-Present
Blue Wave.
Teal.
Turquoise.
Sea Foam.
Glen-Blue. ’64-’67
Dark Blue. ’79-Present.
Copper (Target).
Chestnut-Coppertone (Boobie Pink). ’68-?
Pink.

If y'all keep giving the data, I'll keep it updated for a start of a new thread.

Thank you for the contribution!  ;D I think this is a great start for a kettle color catalog.
And as long as you don't fly me to Cuba, hijack away ;)

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:03 AM »
There are so many faded blacks it deserves it's own color category.
#grubdubs

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
There are a couple different red mists. One is red faded to a lighter red and the other is a red faded to a darker red. As far as a color catalog it might be better if we have an actual weber to show. This way if something unusual comes along we will know if it doesn't match up. We need a place where we can just put a picture and a name.

Dark Red Mist

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
How about the black with the crazing effect. 

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Yeah Duke, That's what I'm talking about. Get the colors all listed and then below that add the photo's. Getting the names and dates is the first start, then work on getting the photos.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
And if you know the models the color is available in.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
There are a couple different red mists. One is red faded to a lighter red and the other is a red faded to a darker red. As far as a color catalog it might be better if we have an actual weber to show. This way if something unusual comes along we will know if it doesn't match up. We need a place where we can just put a picture and a name.

Dark Red Mist

How about a "Know your Grill" forum?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
Speaking of red mist and such, it occurs to me that the same conundrum applies to Le Creuset CI pots. I have a few of the classic reds, and they are all over the map in terms of color and fade. Must have a lot to do with the temps in the furnace when they cook on the porcelain. And they do change colors like the Kettles when you heat 'em up. I wonder why Le Creuset (and others like them) can keep doing reds (and orange and yellow) yet Weber can't? (Insert snide French comments here..)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
Is the Crate and Barrel green one of those listed above?
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »
How about the black with the crazing effect.

I got some "crazy" black ones...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
Is the Crate and Barrel green one of those listed above?

I believe the crate and barrel are limes.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

Dark Red Mist

I've seen (and own one identical to) the red mist/fade pictured here. I haven't seen a red that fades to a lighter red. I'd love to see pics of one. It seems that the Cadmium Reds (redhead) varied in hues over the years. Even the Ranger had a slightly brighter red-almost orange like. There are some other colors to list,

Cadmium Red (Monotone Standard redhead): 1950s-1999
Two Tone Red (Mist or Fade): 1980s-1999... Correct me if anyone has seen a pre 80s example of one.
Black with white speckles: 1950s Many of the first Smokey Joes sported this finish.
Crackle/Crazed/Marble Black: 1950s (see 1956 custom)
Crackle/Crazed/Marble Green: 1950s (saw a pic of an old 18 on another site in this color with an old laminated work table. Looked like the finish you'd see on a bowling ball.
Chestnut Coppertone: 1950s-circa 1968. Originated in the 'Chicago Vent' era?  :-\
Monotone Brown: 1969 Custom. I have also seen a 1991 Cocolate kettle without the "Mist"
Pea Green: 1960s and early 1970s Smokey Joes (Like what Duke and I want) I also want a red one!
Dark Chocolate brown: 1960s and Early 1970s Smokey Joes. (Like Jeff's)
Mustard/Harvest Gold: Seen on a gasser kettle in the 1974 Weber ad with the late Paul Picerni. Second set of eyes please help me on that one.
Westerner Fade: 1958-1960s Westerner 26.75. Don't know what to call that color other than cool! Looks like a biscuit browning in the oven.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:04:05 AM by husker_red »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution