Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pickled Eggs  (Read 7366 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Pickled Eggs
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
@MacEggs - i too am hooked.
Do I really have to let them sit for 4 weeks?
I want some NOW

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 01:05:13 AM »
I'm glad that you enjoyed them.  Did all of them get eaten?

I would recommend at least 2 weeks or so to help develop flavour.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
Thank you, @austin87 !   :D

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »
@MacEggs. Thats friggin awesome! I've never canned before. How long will these keep for once you open? Thanks for the detailed post here. I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 05:30:24 PM »
I have a follow-up question along with Travis' ... I thought canning involved heating them to seal them? You know, to get that vacuum.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 08:31:04 AM »
How long will these keep for once you open?

@Travis , With the ratio I use of 2:1 vinegar to water in the brine, I have never had any worries.
               I currently have jars that I opened close to 2 years ago with a few eggs still swimming, and I have had no ill effects.

I thought canning involved heating them to seal them? You know, to get that vacuum.

@addicted-to-smoke , Very valid question / concern.  I suppose there are many schools-of-thought regarding this.
                                  I, however, do not go over-board.  I pour some boiling hot water into the empty jars … Swish that around, then pour out.
                                  Also, some boiling water on the seals.  Add the peeled eggs, seasoning if required, then hot brine to top the contents, then seal.
                                  Never had any issues.  YMMV

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
So, the vinegar and salt from the brine are preservatives, or ?

From what very little I understand of canning it sounds as if you're essentially doing the same thing as canning, when dealing with boiled water for all the food surfaces.

I don't know if this would apply but I helped make beer from a kit once and it came with a sterilizer packet you mixed with water. Swished the liquid around and soaked tools in it to keep them sterile while working. This was apart from the other heat boils and whatnot used during the wort creation.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
So, the vinegar and salt from the brine are preservatives?

That is correct.

Just like barbecue …. I don't over-think it too much …  :D ;)