Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18.5 WSM Platinum  (Read 11732 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
18.5 WSM Platinum
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:16:33 AM »
Thanks to @dwnthehatch I have the beginnings of a cart for my 18.5 WSM. Test fit today just to get my tinkerin' brain jump-started. I like the position of the top grate now, and it seems like it will make for a nice compact unit. I have some ideas that I'll begin to work out, but wanted the first pass to go on record for anyone else thinking of such an animal. Stay tuned for more.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: 18.5 WSM Platinum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
Marty,  Nice start, it will make a fine cart.

Check out @gunner mod - it really works well (much better than the SS carts I was using).

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-silver-converted-to-an-18-5-wsm-cart/msg146106/#msg146106

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »
Yeah, that's an inspiration for sure. I spent a lot of time on that thread in the past week.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
That's gonna be awesome Marty! Let me know if you come up with on the base for your smoker to sit on. Looks like the bottom of our carts are pretty much the same and I need something more permanent. Can't wait to see it finished! NICE!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
The Platinum frames look nice with the 18" WSM, great job!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:01:42 PM »
Looking good!

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
Anyone have an extra Silver Performer cart?  No $75 Performers around St Louis (DARN) 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:30:52 AM »
This is available (I think)...someone wants the cart I'll take the kettle. Not sure how much shipping would be but I'd be happy to try and work something out.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/4878947503.html
WTB: Genesis Jr.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Thanks to @Jeff, I had to try this version while I'm at it. Kind of liking the easy door access and overall height. Top grate is a comfy 45". Choices… ::)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
Both look good Marty.  I still have to do an initial burn in on mine.  Can't wait to get some meat on it!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 06:10:43 PM »
@MartyG  = Mad Professor.   The man is a genius. 
One of the charcoal people.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »
Thanks to @Jeff, I had to try this version while I'm at it. Kind of liking the easy door access and overall height. Top grate is a comfy 45". Choices… ::)

That's the first thing I did to it when I brought it home. I had no problem reaching the top grate. I would have kept it if I didn't sell my 18.5" WSM.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »
This thread finally made the light bulb go on.
@MartyG (pm sent prior to post, as not to steal it) Thanks Marty!
@Winz
@gunner
@Jeff
And others that may have posted WSM in carts.

Seeing all the other carts, not sure why it took so long. I purchased a Globe Cafe grill a while back, not for the grill, but for what came with it. @Craig

I took it apart, as many parts are NLA, but was happy with the purchase. These grills were similar to a Gas Kettle Weber, but on a cart. I gave the lid away to a CL post for free, tossed the rest, except the cart. Tried to get a 22 to fit, then a 18, not going to happen. Saw this thread on Saturday, ding, ding, ding! Bulb goes off. Brought cart out of the boneyard before church Saturday night. Sunday morning, a little modification and my first cook on the $15 WSM. I hadn't moved the WSM since my purchase, it didn't have wheels... Me bad!

Best ham I can remember making on a Weber. Thanks for your inspiration gentleman.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 03:26:42 AM »
That's a nice looking cart actually Greg.  What more do you know about this Globe Café grill?  What about that cooking grate you pictured? Was that CI, or what was it made of?  That WSM fits very nicely in there.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
That's a nice looking cart actually Greg.  What more do you know about this Globe Café grill?  What about that cooking grate you pictured? Was that CI, or what was it made of?  That WSM fits very nicely in there.

Thanks Jeff. The Globe was a high end gasser in its day. Could say it was a type of a Weber Clone. The lid was louvered, just the same as the Weber. It also had two burners, small inner and a larger one outside that. The original grate was enamel coated and very similar to the Weber gourmet grate of today. It had many of the options that we see for the Weber Gourmet System. I actually have the Wok that came with it too. The griddle is cast iron and sets perfectly on the 22 grate holder. Trying to cartoon bubble a way to mount to the base for better stability. I see an axel, 8" wheels in its future...