Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: We cooked our turkey in the oven.  (Read 1010 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
We cooked our turkey in the oven.
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
Yes, that's right.  We cooked our Thanksgiving turkey in the oven...
(Facepalm)    :o

Here's the backstory...  We've hosted 15+ family members every Thanksgiving for years, and our sausage/sherry/cranberry stuffed Turkey has become somewhat of a tradition, so we just went with it.  Here are the main "guts" of the dressing/stuffing:  (sausage, mushrooms, celery, onion, spices, and sherry)

Here it is with the cranberries and breadcrumbs mixed in just prior to filling up the bird.

The turkey was cooked in a bag.  It turns out fantastic like this.  People raved, enough said.  Quit judging!  LOL   8)

OK, so you're thinking, "What the heck!  You cooked a turkey in a bag, in the oven, and you're posting it on the WKC.  What gives?   OK.. OK..   Here's you're BBQ fix...

First off, were some appetizers...

A couple of days before Thanksgiving we made some "Smoked Spiced Nuts" right off the Weber webpage.  What an excuse to drag out the 26er.

They were yummy...

The night before Thanksgiving, we whipped up some scotch-eggs to go on the mini for the morning of the big day.

When they came off the mini, my daughter was AMAZED with the smell.

Here are 3 eggs plated..   All 6 eggs were gone in minutes.  We WILL be doing these again next year!

On a side note, we ran out of space in the oven for the extra pan of stuffing so we dropped the remaining hot coals from the mini into the 26er and marched on.

One of the final components of our meal was an 18lb ham.  Since a ham already has a nice smoky flavor, we decided to put it on the gasser, on the roti.   Here's the ham with the spit-rod through it just prior to hitting the grill:

Here it is cooking...   (Yes, the spit rod has a bend to it)  LOL!

We make a ham every year.  I've done it on a kettle in the past, but this was BY FAR the best ham we've had to date.    Mmmm.... Ham crust!  (Looks slightly overdone in the pic, it wasn't)

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: We cooked our turkey in the oven.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
Looks like a fantastic day and cook, love the summit gasser.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
I'm a little crusty myself so that ham look amazing!
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
That's some tasty looking food Art! Happy Thanksgiving.

For some reason I was envisioning a whole army of SJ's smoking along in your backyard ;) ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
scotch eggs!  i have to make scotch eggs tomorrow.  that's a great cook nice job!

we cooked the bird in a bag for years, it usually turned out pretty good. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »
Good show all the way around.........kettles / BBQ's always get the overflow.......just think: what would you have done without them?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"