Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Kettle Turkey: in the pan or above?  (Read 3655 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
First Kettle Turkey: in the pan or above?
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
So I've been reading a ton of posts about kettle turkey indirect and I see two schools of thought:
Putting 10-12 lb bird in the pan or putting the bird on the cooking grate with pan below on the charcoal grate.

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Does the bird get soggy in the pan? Can it get over cooked being on the grate without the pan shielding it?

Will there be space issues if the bird is in pan? Too close to lid?

I am looking to make gravy from the drippings? Any advice is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:22:08 PM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: First Kettle Turkey: in the pan or above?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
Here is one I did last winter.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/my-first-kettle-cooked-turkey/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
Thanks Mac
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
@CharliefromLI
Don't think too many people are as daffy as me to then set the pan down in.......it works pretty good, I put celery stalks across the bottom of the pan to keep it from cooking / sticking to the pan......

The bottom of the piece doesn't get a crispy skin like the rest, but not soggy, as there's liquid in the pan (I fill part way w/ chicken stock & spices).......that does keep the bird generally real moist though........

Other possible downsides are  being careful to not singe the areas closest to the coals & maybe oversmoking by a bit because it's right there by the fuel.......done it this way for years so it seems easy, but up on the rack works fine too.....

On the regular cooking grate, it limits the size by a bit, but you do get great heat flow that way......some folks will cook breast down for a time & flip for the remainder, claiming it ends up cooking thru more even that way & that seems to make sense......

Here's also some ideas from people last year......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/wkc-turkey-noob-thread/

I'll bump this up for everyone as some god stuff happens when folks chime in........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:31 AM »
@1buckie Thanks.

I think i am going to go play it safe this time and go in the pan on the top grate (use the weber method).

http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey-with-pan-gravy

It might take longer but i think it will be a bit more forgiving. i will start early to allow extra cooking time.

Quick question: If it finishes early, can i wrap and hold in foil in a warmed cooler (poor mans Cambro)? I know this is safe for butts but can i hold a turkey for an hour or two if needed before carving or will this dry it out?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:29:29 AM »
@1buckie Thanks.

Quick question: If it finishes early, can i wrap and hold in foil in a warmed cooler (poor mans Cambro)? I know this is safe for butts but can i hold a turkey for an hour or two if needed before carving or will this dry it out?

Yes, for a time.......turkey is one of those things they tested the temp / hold guidelines for though.......people leaving them out for hours after cooking has lead to all kinds of ruckus.....

Rest for a short time , then wrap........below 140f, the clock starts.......4 hours 'till bugs start up & I would play even more safe with any poultry....

Holding awhile should be fine & keep moist (a bit of steaming effect), but crispy skin will soften some, so keep that in mind also.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »

One pan for water , one for drippings and I like these Hefty brand sheet pans with the holes for roasting turkey
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
@1buckie Thanks.

Yes, for a time.......turkey is one of those things they tested the temp / hold guidelines for though.......people leaving them out for hours after cooking has lead to all kinds of ruckus.....

Rest for a short time , then wrap........below 140f, the clock starts.......4 hours 'till bugs start up & I would play even more safe with any poultry....

Holding awhile should be fine & keep moist (a bit of steaming effect), but crispy skin will soften some, so keep that in mind also.....

That's perfect: no way i am looking to go anywhere near 4 hours. my guess will be 30-90 minute range plus rest time. I would rather be done an hour early then an hour late...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
I've cooked turkey both ways, and prefer just putting it on the grate with a drip pan below.  If you do use a cooking pan, I'd agree with Buckie that you should put some veggies and chix stock in the pan, and make sure it doesn't cook dry.  It won't make your turkey soggy. 

In my experience, the gravy made from a kettle bird is really, really smokey-- especially if you've used much smoke in your cook.  I prefer to get the smoke flavor *on the meat*, then cook the gravy inside the house.   
One of the charcoal people.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
Thanks @mike.stavlund. Being that this for the family and they arent all smoke fans i was going to go very light on the smoke anyway.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
I use a roster aluminum tin and then put my rack in the tin.  All in one setup has worked great for the 2 turkeys I have done.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)