Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Knives  (Read 13373 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Knives
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
I have a set of classic Wusthof knives. They are good enough for me. I sharpen them pretty often. Cut through everything I need them to. Kitchen scissors that came with the set cut right through the chicken.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 05:13:59 AM »
Thanks, again for the input.  I spent a little time browsing for knives, and didn't realize, you can google bbq knives and get some actual pre-done sets...expensive though (at least for me). 

I never realized knives could cost $200 each until I started looking into it! 

I stumbled across some really cheap knives that get decent reviews, called Kiwi knives, but how could you trust a knife that cost only $5?

Anyway, I am in no big hurry, so will continue to research all the different brands you guys suggested.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
Since I really only needed a knife for my grilling I looked around and ended up buying a Havalon Baracuta.  Went with this knife as when the blade gets dull I just take if off and replace with a new razor sharp blade.  Blades are cheap and I been using the same blade for many months.  I only cut meat so the blade really lasts.  If you don't want the fillet type blade you can also go with the Baracuta Blaze with the larger wider blade.  Both setups you can swap the blades between them.
http://www.havalon.com/fillet-knife-havalon-baracuta-z-xt-127z.html
http://www.havalon.com/skinning-knife-havalon-baracuta-blaze-xt-115blaze.html
Blades can be purchased separately
http://www.havalon.com/havalon-baracuta--quik-change--replacement-fillet-blades.html
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
My main knife in regards to BBQing is a Victorinox Fillet Knife that's 7 inches long.  I use it for anything I'm prepping to go on the grill meat wise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MF45X6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My girlfriend has the Wurstof Santoku and Pairing knife combo that's basically an older version of this http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-gourmet-2-piece-paring-santoku-knife-set/?pkey=cknives-wusthof&cm_src=knives-wusthof||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-  which we pretty much use for everything else.

Personally I'm not crazy about the Santoku for cutting up vegetables and things like that, I can't really get the rocking motion that I want to use like I can with a chef's knife so I'm thinking about buying my own chef's knife.

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
i got all caught up with Vintage stuff.

high carbon Sabatier from the early 1900's is my go-to knife. i also have some Gustav Emil Urn just a tad younger..more modern in heft and profile. 

the french just made some beauties back then.

my modern Wustof Classic chef knife rarely gets used.  i am trying to give it away to my brother.  if i had to buy new..i would opt for a japanese Gyoto..i just love the profile.

if i had to pick just ONE..i would do a great chinese style cleaver.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
Still using the Wüsthof Trident Grand Prix set given years ago.

Budget for a knife sharpener. A cheap Chef's Choice manual with 2 angles + hone will do the job and there are several electric models, and you can always go with sharpening stones.

All of that will get you truly sharp knives, for which there is no substitute.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
if i had to pick just ONE..i would do a great chinese style cleaver.

My mother in law has been seen using an old hatchet and machete. The former works well in the kitchen and the latter makes short work of whatever doesn't fit in the kitchen.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
I have the same as addicted to smoke, although mine is not a set. I have a 6" & 8" chefs, a 10" slicer, a boning, and a paring knife in that line. I love the heft
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:28 AM »
Not a chef, just a guy who cooks stuff.....90% of everything gets cut with a fairly sharp Henckels bread knife....

I have a couple OK sharpies if needed......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
I stumbled across some really cheap knives that get decent reviews, called Kiwi knives, but how could you trust a knife that cost only $5?

Ask a WKCer, that's how.
I have a couple stashes of Kiwi knives, one in the kitchen and one in my knife bag in the BBQ shed. No one is allowed to use them but me.
These are crazy sharp knives and hold an edge pretty well. I sharpen on a Furi Tech Edge Pro.
And hell, at $5.00 for a sharp knife, if I can't get it sharp again, I just buy some new ones!
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
Does anyone use or have used a Lansky knife sharpening kit on their kitchen knives? If so, how well does or did it work; and do you have any tips?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
I have one. It works, but I don't have the patience. Even strokes and pressure required. I have a three step, easier to bring to a professional, IMO. Good knives will keep an edge a long time, if not abused.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
Information overload!!! But all good information.  I think I will go to the Asian market that is about 1/4 mile from home and see if they have some Kiwi knives.  I am also going to go through our kitchen drawers and see what we have and try to put a set together and sharpen them.  If I am not successful at that, I will put a few knives on my Christmas list! :)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
Does anyone use or have used a Lansky knife sharpening kit on their kitchen knives? If so, how well does or did it work; and do you have any tips?
I do. It seems to work fine on shorter knives IMO.
I have tried to sharpen the Henckels my wife has ruined and have given up. I guess I need to take them somewhere and have them reground.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Information overload!!! But all good information.  I think I will go to the Asian market that is about 1/4 mile from home and see if they have some Kiwi knives.
I order from http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/ only because there are few Asian markets in my neck of the woods.