Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hatch Green Chili Roasting  (Read 4976 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Hatch Green Chili Roasting
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
I realize this information may be redundant with posts in other threads, but I thought I would take the opportunity to isolate and lay out the technique for roasting Green Chilies.  If nothing else, hopefully this information will entice others to try real New Mexico chilies - they are amazing!  This technique can be used with any other pepper that has a waxy skin as well.

Build a hot fire and place the chilies directly over the hot coals:

Burn them good.  You want to try and blacken all the skin on the chilie - it will make peeling much easier.  Many people under cook them which will only make peeling more difficult

Let the chilies cool just slightly, and put them in a thick (freezer) bag and seal it closed.  Your only concern here is melting the plastic - I suggest waiting 3-5 minutes before putting them in the bag, and make sure you use stout plastic bags.  Once sealed, let the chilies rest in the sealed bag for 15 minutes.  The steam will loosen the skin on the pepper:

Once out of the bag, simply peel the skins off.  WARNING - do not touch your face while peeling chilies.  The oils will burn your eyes, lips, etc.  I made this mistake once - never again.  Some people even use gloves while handling chilies, but I find that rinsing your hands from time to time will do.:

Once peeled, open the chilies and strip out the membrane and seeds to the extent possible.  You will not be able to get all the seeds, but that is OK.  Resist rinsing the chilies - you want to keep the oils, they provide flavor.  If you rinse them you will end up with flavorless chilie (like that stuff you buy in cans):

I dice them up and either use over the next couple of days, or seal them in vacuum bags and freeze them for later.  Diced chile can be used for a multitude of things.  Some of my favorites:  In eggs, on burgers, in soups/stews, with cream cheese and crackers, and baked in homemade bread. 

Enjoy!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Hatch Green Chili Roasting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »
Thanks for the write up. I will have to try this sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
I just did this exact thing yesterday.  Plan on pulling out my diced peppers when I get home to add some flavor to some turkey burgers we are having tonight.  Nice pics. 

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Need hatch chiles...who's shipping em to me in IL?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
Thanks, Winz!  I just did exactly this, then stuffed the Hatch peppers with fake crab and some cheese and put them back on to roast.  Excellent!
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
Terry, check around with a few grocery stores-- I think Whole Foods distributes these special chiles, but only for about a week in August. 

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
I've tried, no luck so far Mike. I'll keep looking.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »
Michael, the whole foods tip will pay off. They have some but I can't get there until the weekend. Thanks!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 05:29:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing how to do green chili roasted peppers.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

MadMax

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
My brother in dallas just picked me up  #25 case of the hot for $10 bucks and had a $5 dollar off coupon and he is fed x ing Tuesday be here Thursday for $25 that is about 1.20 pound They gave him a deal. He said they had 3 palletts of 96 cases of #25 pound boxes. Do the math, Thats a lot of peppers.  He sent me 1/1/2 pounds of the medium that i cooked last night. They were to mild for me so he bought me a case of hot.  They have mild here in central Illinois county markets for $1.59  (.79 all over Dallas  He says were getting ripped) a pound but no medium of hot. Just waiting for produce manager to give me a deal on case price.  if anybody interested let me know should not be very much to ship in Illinois. One thing for sure is they are tasty.
[/URL]

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »
I tasted a friend's (roasted) Hatch chile martini this weekend, and it was awesome. 

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
Hey Winz,
Can I just put them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap?
AJ
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »

AJ, follow the recipe....use a freezer Ziplock.............. 8)

I did about ten pounds & it works grate !!!!

Then turned right around & loaded some up into marinated beef bottom round rollups......

Pretty good.....even the wife wanted to go find more beef to do these again.................

Some had creamcheese also......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Thanks Buckie!  I definitely want to put up some in the freezer.
And those beef roll-ups look pretty darn good..
Can you say green chilli stuffed turds?

Would adding some smoke while roasting do anything?
 8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »

For the roasting just to get the skin loose, i guess, but don't really know....Winz or some of our Southwest contingent might know better about smoke methods....i slapped a little on the rollups & that was fine......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"