Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fella Said He Could Have Sex With My Brisket!!!  (Read 2621 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Fella Said He Could Have Sex With My Brisket!!!
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
Got a buddy at work who is a fan of my cooking.....first time he tried my smoked food (it was jerked chicken), he swore on the floor of the grocery store talking about it.  Now it is 2 years later and I am still feeding him samples, this past Saturday it was some brisket flat.  Well he floors me and out comes, "that is so good I could have sex with it."  Damn.  I gotta be getting good at this brisket cooking I say.

Started with a 15.8lb Angus whole brisket.  Set up the WSM Friday night late with the intention of getting up in the middle of the night to get it stated with an eye toward eating Saturday at a reasonable time.  Well at about midnight I decided this was going to be my very first overnight cook.  Seasoned the brisket with Scwartz's Montreal Steak Spice and Dizzy Pig Beef Rub and let er' sit out for an hour at room temp while I fired up a load of Kingsford to add to a snake of RO Blue Bag spiked with white oak and pecan chunks.  The meat hit the WSM at 1am.  Smoke was clean throughout the cook with temps in the 245-265f range.  The brisket sat fat side down for about 5 hours the went into some heavy duty foil NOT sealed on top, fat side up....for about an hour or so to crisp up the fat abit.  Then foil was sealed after adding about a cup of broth.  It probed like butter at 206f at which point I wrapped in heated towels till the internal temp hit 170f (about 2 hours) then ate.

Sunday after work I decided to do burnt ends.  Rubbed down the cut side of the point with some more of the same mix and smoked for 3 hours cut side up.  This is almost at the 3 hour mark:

After that I cubed the point up and into a pan with space between the chunks left and broth in the bottom :

Rain was forecast over the weekend so on the back porch under the gazebo thingy I was:

I let the chunks go about 1.5 hrs, adding abit more broth half way through.  Done:

I had some sausage links I picked up at the butcher...tasty beef and lamb ones spiced with a middle eastern blend.  Rather than just grill them I tossed them in the smoker beside the pan of burnt ends for about 20 minutes before finishing in the Jumbo Joe.  They were flippin' amazing boys.....smoke ring, juicy and very tasty.  Did up some grilled zucchini after that, adding some grated parmesan towards the end:

My plate:

I live close to work...gonna take a few burnt ends over to my friend.  He's never tried burnt ends before.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:03:07 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fella Said He Could Have Sex With My Brisket!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »

Not sure about sex, but I'm sure i would eat 'till I puffed up & tilted over.....Looks Grate, man !!!

I like doing ends starting from leftover, the next day or something....seems to work better if it's been  chilled down then started up from there.....

corn, beef like that & zukes w/ parm.....that pic could easily have been taken at our house !!!!l
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
damn. i gotta learn to cook brisket.

that looks SO freaking good

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
Not sure about sex

That's just because you can cook this yourself, likely know where you can buy it and have eaten it many times over Buckie.  Counting the burnt ends I just took over this fella has had smoked brisket 4 times total.

Showed up and we are in the back of the grocery store.....first piece out of the container and buddy drops a prime piece on the floor.  We both gasp and are now looking at each other after looking on the floor....and he says, "ten second rule applies", and eats it with closed eyes and a big smile.  A second employee wanders along and I suggest he try some too.  This fella poo poos my bbq saying it is too much time to spend cooking anything.  He very much enjoyed the ends he ate and admitted spending time producing such a thing was worthy.  Of his first burnt ends my buddy said he needed a cold shower.  High praise indeed.  I know I still have much to learn about brisket but it is good to know I can predictably get it this far.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:18:40 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »
Looks great!  My mouth is watering now ... may have to toss on a brisket soon.
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
 ... may have to toss on a brisket soon.

down under this has a totally different meaning :o
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »
The brisket and chunks look heavenly!!!

NICE WORK!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
I need to try this.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

I was wondering when this would be commented on ....  No doubt from Oz ...

Looks good, Mike!  Salivary glands just kicked in to overtime ....  :) :) 8) ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

LOL!!! Extra gravy...
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
Outstanding Hoss! That looks freakin' delicious!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E