Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drip Bean Questions???? Foil or cast....Brisket?  (Read 1549 times)

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
Drip Bean Questions???? Foil or cast....Brisket?
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
Ok, it seems all the photos of drip beans are under pork and in foil pans.

What about a cast iron bean pot under a brisket?  Hit me with your pros and cons as well as sage advise.
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Drip Bean Questions???? Foil or cast....Brisket?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »

If it fits, it ships, or something....

maybe, if the bean pot fits, you must acquit (yourself to doing beans under brisket...)

That was a small chuckie that was dripped there......

Yes, they are that good..................

Only thing I find using cast for a long time like that is it holds & keeps generating heat so well, you have to be more careful not to turn them into mush.....it's great for braizing (the Pepper Stout Beef comes to mind)
One would think flimsy aluminium would be worse for that, but it passes heat thru real well......
I save my old alum. pans that get holes, wash 'em & use as a double underneath for stability............

Here might have been a good situation I didn't think to use cast..... br. point & tri-tip done slow to well............shorter cook than whole brisket.................

usually go about max. 5 hours with beans anyways......middle or end of cookup.......so if you go that way, shorten the time a bit & they won't turn soggy.................

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
I used my "indoor" DO for my last batch-a nice red Le Creuset 5 qt. Too nice for the smoker? Nonsense! They turned out great, and it was kind of funny when my wife said she was worried if the pot would ever get clean. I knew a little 0000 steel wool and bar keepers friend and it would be good as new. I was right. Of course I had to supply the elbow grease!  ;D

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »
I used my "indoor" DO for my last batch-a nice red Le Creuset 5 qt. Too nice for the smoker? Nonsense! They turned out great, and it was kind of funny when my wife said she was worried if the pot would ever get clean. I knew a little 0000 steel wool and bar keepers friend and it would be good as new. I was right. Of course I had to supply the elbow grease!  ;D

I use the same red Le Creuset pan, it fits right inside the snake. I will usually wrap the bottom 2" in foil to keep direct contact from the coals and less elbow action on cleanup.
WTB: Genesis Jr.