Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Kettle Table.  (Read 9894 times)

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
New Kettle Table.
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »
I don't post very often. But I do enjoy looking at all of the fun stuff the people who post on this forum do. 

We live in Texas and went to visit our family in Utah for a few weeks. My dad is retired and has a fabulous wood shop. One of the the tools he has is a band saw mill. He enjoys gathering up "trash" wood that would usually go to firewood and using this for his projects.

He has built 6 or 7 sets of kitchen cabinets using this wood. Wood he has used includes elm and locust. This makes beautiful very custom cabinets.

Now on to the grilling part of the post. I have wanted to make a table for my kettle for a while but lacked time, tools, and motivation. While in Utah my dad got his copy of Wood magazines with plans on how to make a table for a kettle grill.

Since I was on vacation at my dad's work shop I couldn't use lack of time and tools as an excuse. So I was able to find the motivation pretty quick.

The first part was to determine what wood to use. We thought of going to Lowe's and buying cedar or redwood. But then decided if we were going to do it right it needed to be "trash wood" if it was going to be made in dad's shop.

In many parts of Utah there is a thorny nasty tree called Russian Olive. It is very invasive and considered a noxious weed in many counties. However, when milled it makes nice lumber for projects. This is the lumber we decided to use.

Here is a picture of the finished product

It is finished with Spar Marine Varnish.

The only mod I made to the plans from the magazine was to extend one side by 10" to accommodate the Kingsford charcoal bins.

The grill I am using is an AT code OTG.

Now I need to replace the ugly plastic handle with nice wood handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
Re: New Kettle Table.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
Hey.  That is a very nice table.   :D
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Very nice! I didn't know that sh!t tree has such nice grain. Man, do they bite when mowing...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
Gorgeous!  Great work, for sure.

You should inquire of the Handle Guru to see if he can perhaps make you a handle from the same wood!
One of the charcoal people.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
Awesome looking table and it looks great with the blue kettle
You need to get some of that timber to Brian so he can make some matching handles
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
Very nice, i like it.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
That's a super nice table. I love the look of the wood.
A Wonderful Family!!!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
Nice work! I presume it has doors or something on the side we can't seen. We need more pictures! ;D
kettles, smokers...

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
Very nice work! I love how it's not over the top and somewhat understated. Solid construction but nice and clean design... perfect!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »
That is some beauty craftsmanship!  More pics, please.  :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
Very nice looking table.

Not sure about you, but I love doing projects with my dad. Vacation well spent I say.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
That's a nice looking table!!!
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »

Very nice! I didn't know that sh!t tree has such nice grain. Man, do they bite when mowing...

Sh!t is what it smells like when you work with it too. I never knew what it looked like either. But my dad has a gift for seeing the potential of things that many people would look over.

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will post some pictures of the ends with the doors tomorrow when I can get a decent picture.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »
LMAO! I don't remember that smell when I had to cut down my parents 30+ years ago. I was more worried about getting bit by the thorns.

Again awesome cart and craftsmanship.

Sh!t is what it smells like when you work with it too. I never knew what it looked like either. But my dad has a gift for seeing the potential of things that many people would look over.