Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temp plummets when meat goes on...?  (Read 2197 times)

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
Temp plummets when meat goes on...?
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:22 AM »
I'll frame this by saying this is my first grill with a dome thermometer.

I pour the coals, then put on the lid to preheat the grates, and the temp spikes to 475 or so. But when I put on the meat the temp plummets to 350, and won't budge. Is the raw meat cooling off the internal temp that much?
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Temp plummets when meat goes on...?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
Gomrds, most likely due to the cold meat going on the grill. Mine does this every time and the temp drop varies. I find that if I leave the meat on the counter at room temp for 15-30 minutes the temp drop isn't as great. Not a big deal, you learn to compensate for the drop with more cooks.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
 Cold meat will drop the temp , whenever possible I let it come up to room temp first .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 03:23:53 AM »

Depends on what you're doing, I would guess.....batch of heavily oiled lamb chops, the temp might go up for a time.....

15+ lbs. brisket, yes it will drop from the cold meat mass going on.................

I try to just plan the drop a little ahead & start off a bit high to account for what will happen........if it's a large piece like pork butt, then you're in for the long haul & it's not going to be an exact timing thing anyway......I've tried to get two identical setups & they still have come out 1&1/2 hrs apart........the meat dictates the rules.....................
 A thing to do in the way of gaining experience with these things is try to allow enough time to not get nervous & just watch & observe what happens.......make an adjustment, notice what happens, make another, if needed, watch what happens......it will get to be second nature much sooner than you think......it's a Weber!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:54:27 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
i wouldn't over think it.

if your fuel source is putting out enough heat to maintain empty temp of 250, a temp drop in the pit isn't because of the fuel or burn rate.
it's simply affecting the temp by absorbing all the heat.

if you're grilling, chances are there's not enough thermal mass of whatever you're grilling to have this effect (unless you're throwing on a couple cold tri tips)
The temp loss you're seeing is likely just from opening the lid and letting all the heat out.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
The dome therm is lying to you anyway.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
I'll frame this by saying this is my first grill with a dome thermometer.

I pour the coals, then put on the lid to preheat the grates, and the temp spikes to 475 or so. But when I put on the meat the temp plummets to 350, and won't budge. Is the raw meat cooling off the internal temp that much?

If you put your meat between the charcoal and thermometer you are removing radiant heat that was previously on the thermometer- causing the temp reading to fall more than just strictly taking the grill internal air reading. The cold meat and water content also have an effect, but as others mentioned don't worry about it too much.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:55:03 AM »
Thanks for the insights, everyone. It's just another thing to get used to in the transition from the Char-Q to the 22.
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO