Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Awasome Ribs!  (Read 2930 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Awasome Ribs!
« on: June 22, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
Well it has been almost a month since I did any traditional bbq.  I decided to do some ribs.  My co-worker asked me to do a competition with him in August, so I thought I would work on my technique, and worry about the flavor profiles when him and I do our practice run.

No prep shots unfortunately.  But this is the rub that I used.

1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
1⁄4 cup sweet paprika
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper

I fired up the UDS (which hasn't been used since I did jerked chicken in the winter)  I got it cruising at 250 w/ pecan wood.  I normally cook hot and fast, but I wanted to take my time today.

I cooked them for 2.5 hours then wrapped them in foil with some agave nectar, butter, hot sauce, and a little bit more rub.  After about 1.5 hours in the foil, I took them out and they had about 30 mins until they were going to be done, so I sauced them up.

Here they are sauced up in the drum.  Sauced used with Plowboys Sweet 180.

After 30mins so the sauced set.  This is what they looked like.

There were some spots where the ribs were over sauced.  I took a brush and evened out the sauce some.  You can clearly see the brush marks in the sauce.

So I busted out the spray bottle and spritzed some water over the ribs to make the sauce lay down.

Dinner wasn't going to be served for about an hour, since my roommate wasn't going to home from work till then.  So into the oven they went at 150 degrees.  I tented some foil over the trays so that the ribs didn't dry out.  Sliced them up and here are some finished shots.

Of course I had to do some quality control before they went onto the dinner table.

Some ribs and rib tips on the platter and my plate.

I am excited about the competition on August.  I think after doing nekkid dry ribs for the better part of a year, these ribs turned out pretty good.  I have an extra rack to take to work, so that the guy I'm doing the comp with can taste them.

Please be super critical on the appearance of the ribs.  Any input will help me tighten up my game for my 1st competition.  (Keep in mind this was just a technique practice and not a flavor profile practice.)
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Awasome Ribs!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
I would think you nailed it with those bad boys! Spare ribs?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
I would think you nailed it with those bad boys! Spare ribs?

Yep, I trimmed them down to St. Louis cuts and served the rip tips on the same platter.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Ooooh Baby !
Push over Rover cuz I'ma comin' over !

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
Excellent cook. Mouth Watering.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »
Looks damn damn good!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
Looks good from here. ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:31:56 AM »
they look nice

super critical?
- a little dark in spots, especially along the edges. the rest of the mahogany is perfect though
- if you're serving the whole slab, trim the last bones to make the whole thing nice and square

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
Looks great! 

Is this going to be a KCBS contest or a smaller local bbq contest?  If it's KCBS, I say stick with your cook times.  The bite looks great.  If it's smaller and more local (read: judges off the street) I have found that more tender ribs do much better.  Maybe just an extra half hour- 1hour wrapped. 

It's not my favorite type of rib, but the "fall off the bone" type ribs do well in IBCA contests down in TX.   ::)

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Looks great! 

Is this going to be a KCBS contest or a smaller local bbq contest?  If it's KCBS, I say stick with your cook times.  The bite looks great.  If it's smaller and more local (read: judges off the street) I have found that more tender ribs do much better.  Maybe just an extra half hour- 1hour wrapped. 

It's not my favorite type of rib, but the "fall off the bone" type ribs do well in IBCA contests down in TX.   ::)

I agree with this!  I recently had some baby backs go a little long and were "fall of the bone" type.  I was disappointed since I was cooking for my mom and a friend of hers.  Her friend said they were better than her local FL BBQ joint.  I know that's not saying much since we're talking FL and BBQ.  :o  My mom said that ribs need to be on the menu any time she comes to visit.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
Looks damn damn good!
Totally agree  :)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
Looks great! 

It is going to be a KCBS contest in Hampton, VA on the weekend of August 22nd. 

they look nice

super critical?
- a little dark in spots, especially along the edges. the rest of the mahogany is perfect though
- if you're serving the whole slab, trim the last bones to make the whole thing nice and square

Thanks for those tips.  I thought the edges were just a tad dark as well.  I need to make sure I check the ribs a little bit sooner to wrap.   I checked them at the normal time I would check when doing hot and fast.  I need to make sure I check them just a little bit sooner.

When I served the racks for dinner, I just sliced them up and put them on the platter.  My roommates didn't care how they looked on the platter.  I did however try to work on getting the straightest cuts possible, so that I would be able to present them in a box.  In the comp, I'm going to be putting 6 ribs in the box and they will be the straightest center cut ones.

I appreciate the critique, as it will give make me strive for better on my next cook while I refine my technique for competition.  My co-worker and I plan on doing a big practice run in July and I'll make sure to post pictures of the practice boxes as well as all the food for pointers.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »

I've seen people go thru the thick brush mark thing & the best thing I know about that is thin your sauce, just a bit, not a lot, & it will have basically the same effect you got with the water spritz/ re-brush deal......only the first time through......

If you are picking meat, start looking now & find a supplier that has straight bones, at least thru the middles.......I see some that are way curved, decent eating, but not good for presenting like that............

Once I get an even saucing, I switch to a wide spade to move them, then the tongs don't mess with the finish.........

You can even do a bend test w/ them..........

Not a comp guy, but I hope a few observations help.....you'll nail it......I've seen your cooking !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:28:33 AM »

I've seen people go thru the thick brush mark thing & the best thing I know about that is thin your sauce, just a bit, not a lot, & it will have basically the same effect you got with the water spritz/ re-brush deal......only the first time through......

If you are picking meat, start looking now & find a supplier that has straight bones, at least thru the middles.......I see some that are way curved, decent eating, but not good for presenting like that............

Once I get an even saucing, I switch to a wide spade to move them, then the tongs don't mess with the finish.........

You can even do a bend test w/ them..........

Not a comp guy, but I hope a few observations help.....you'll nail it......I've seen your cooking !!!!

Thanks for the tips.  I didn't even think about thinning the sauce out prior to saucing.  And lucky I have a BAS (big ass spatula) that I use when doing pork butts.  I can use it, while doing ribs instead of tongs also.