Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Some baby backs  (Read 2181 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Some baby backs
« on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
This is my second cook on charcoal. Was very stressed out all day long while they were cooking. I don't have my maverick et-732 yet so was just using the dome and a cheap oven thermometer. Was running a little hot around 280-290 on the grate. To me, I am no expert, they came out great. Wife really enjoyed them and asked if she could take a bath in the sauce I used. I used amazingribs.com Memphis Dust rub recipe and their Kansas City BBQ sauce recipe. I don't like a lot of sauce so they only got one coat at the end. Cooked them for 3 hours, last 15 I put the sauce on. Also had 2 small pieces of apple wood on the coals. Now for the pics.
All rubbed up

Before sauce

Bend test

Forgot the pic after saucing, had to eat them

Can't wait for the next cook.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Some baby backs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

"To me, I am no expert, they came out great. Wife really enjoyed them and asked if she could take a bath in the sauce I used."

"Can't wait for the next cook."

^^^^^  That's 95+% of the deal right there !!!!!

Grate Lookin' Cookup !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
Excellent looking ribs icarry. Memphis Dust is one of favorite rubs, I use it for ribs and pork butt.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
Those look fabulous.  Great cook up!
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
Yeah, buddy!  You got me in the mood for ribs again.  I think I'm going to pick up some babys for Father's Day.  Might be a multi-kettle affair.
WTB 18 fruit

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »

Hey, I looked back & saw a couple things here......

"This is my second cook on charcoal."

I don't actually remember my 2nd cook on charcoal, but it might have gone something like:"Squirt some more lighter fluid thru the grates of the Smokey Joe while the shrimp's still on the grate......Mmmmmmm......lighter fluid marinade.....Mmmmmmm"

I think we may have had beer for dinner that nite.......

And...........

"Was very stressed out all day long while they were cooking."

Relax......you're doin' great......get in the groove......here, watch this video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rp-r8yShs

"Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Throwdown at the Hoedown" live at Byron Bay Australia

Has nothing to do with BBQ, everything to do with catchin' a rhythm, the swing, a groove.......

The bass player's my favorite musician & I saw a short interview w/ him at Berklee College of Music when he did guest workshops there....
He talked about going to do a solo & realizing he had to "Remember to Breathe"

So when you start getting stressed out......"Remember to Breathe"

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
Thanks guys, and buckie, you are a great source of knowledge. Every piece of info you have given has helped. I am having so much fun experimenting and trying different things.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Looks like you nailed it! 
Don't fret the temperatures. I think temperature-control is highly overrated. So long as it's in a good range, you're good.
I try to be mindful of the intake vent settings, and go from there. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I used amazingribs.com Memphis Dust rub recipe and their Kansas City BBQ sauce recipe.

These two together are a fantastic combo on ribs!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Thanks Mac

These two together are a fantastic combo on ribs!
Yes I really enjoyed them. Will be using that all summer long.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
Looks good! We obsess over temperature but it's not that critical. I usually shoot for 275° and am happy if I'm between 225° and 325°. You just need to be flexible and adjust time accordingly.

I like the use of brick but feel safer with fire brick. I use these: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/stoves-add-on-furnaces/stove-accessories/vogelzang-6-pack-firebrick/p-1392272-c-6881.htm
kettles, smokers...