Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Have Kettles - Will Travel  (Read 1655 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Have Kettles - Will Travel
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »
Went down to my home to see Mom today.  Upon learning that she had steaks to cook, (on a gas grill), I decided to do a few my way.  My brother is a chef with a restaurant of his own and even though he often defers to me in regard to techniques and recipies Mom discounts my input consistently.  So I did not ask her permission here...just did it.  Dad would understand if he were alive. 

The van packed up and ready for a hour and a half drive:

I used the black 3 wheeler as my smoker and the blue OTG as the grill.  Got the steaks smoking here in the shade with some rum barrel chunks for flavour with the temp about 170-180f:

The fillets smoked for about 40 minutes...here they are just before I pulled them:

Mom had some jumbo shrimp served cold with seafood sauce....they weren't that great so the brother-in-law suggested I smoke them.  Melted some butter and tossed the shrimp with some coarse pepper and salt with a little lime juice as well...smoke them for 15 minutes or so then did them over the little coal bed I had going under the chunks.  The process improved the taste of those shrimp but only so much.  Brother showed up with some fancy mushrooms...I drizzled olive oil over them then salt and peppered em' up and onto the smoker:

Here the meal is grilling:

Love the deep red that comes out in beef when it grills after smoking.  I did not get a plate shot...with 11 people, including children, it was hectic.  I was just glad I got to my steak before it got cold.  The smoked fillets were a hit....I overcooked them...they were medium well not medium rare....good though not great....nice smoke taste and crust just not as pink as desirable.  My brother-in-law wants me to buy him 2 kettles used with a budget of $200.  I live in Canada so this will not buy as much as south of the border.  I'd like to get him 2 OTG 22.5s but I have only seen 4 or 5 near me in the last year and a half....and I am in need of 1 to turn into a WSM myself so the first cheap one is mine.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Have Kettles - Will Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »

"Mom discounts my input consistently.  So I did not ask her permission here...just did it. "

I get some of this, but it's shaped differently......comes in the form of: "What do I need to do here....I've got such & such in the freezer.....do you want me to run over to the store?".....etc, etc.....

This year, we threatened to Velcro her to the chair.......... :o

Even if ya went a little long, still a great cookup & the thought & effort will be what counts later on............... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
That looks so good, Hoss! Nicely done.

I didn't know you had a 3-wheeler. I will keep an eye out for OTGs down your way .... $200, eh?!?? Might happen.  :o :D :D ;) ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
We don't seem to get many pictures of non-travel kettles being travelled with, so thanks. I don't know if mom appreciated what you wound up doing, but in the end, we do a lot of what we do firstly for ourselves, even if that is cooking for a bunch of others. And that my friend, is all that anyone need do.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure your family and mom appreciated it.

If your brother wants OTG's for a reasonable price maybe you could touch base with some of the MI WKC members if you are ever in the area.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
If your brother wants OTG's for a reasonable price maybe you could touch base with some of the MI WKC members if you are ever in the area.

It is actually my brother-in-law that is looking for 2 Kettles.  He'd been talking about getting one for the better part of a year - he saw me do a 2 Kettle cook of 8 racks that turned out pretty tasty.  I told him to go get a new 22.5 OTG because of the warranty and the fact that they do not come up within 30 minutes of me too often....maybe 4 or 5 times a year.  He says a silver would be fine but I want him to have a OTG as it is a safer animal for him to tame. 

The idea of travelling to Michigan is not really an option at the present time.  Too far to go for anybody but me and I should not be buying any more cookers right now.  Got 12 or em' and the wife is some pissed.  Still....if you told me I could get a mint red Mastertouch????  Be mighty tempting.  Wanted me one of them for some time now.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
That looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk