Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Custom Bar B Que Kettle  (Read 5700 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Custom Bar B Que Kettle
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »
Here's the story.......
Late last year, Harbormaster contacted me out of the blue and asked if I wanted an old grill that was given to him.  He provided the following photos.

We both knew this was an older grill but it looked just like the pics showed.....a pretty rough, faded old grill.  I said Id take it and would enjoy the challenge of trying to restore it for use.  After zooming in on one of the photos, I thought I spotted what could be a "swirl" finish (last photo).  I asked HM and he said it was present in a spot on the lid handle.  I figured it could be a small remnant of the old finish and thought it could be a 50s Custom 18 but didn't think much of it.  On Friday, the family and I headed west for a short trip and stopped by HMs place.  He had provided the key to the "Yacht Club" so I was able to pick it up.

When I saw the kettle and the swirl on the handle I got a little excited.  Realizing it was painted, I couldn't wait to see what was underneath.  We got home late on Friday night and I took  a piece of steel wool to see what might be underneath.  Under the dim light of a flashlight, I could see more yellow swirls.  This is what it looked like in the daylight. 

Later in the day, I worked on it some more.  I used mineral spirits, fine steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease.  The more I uncovered, the more I had to do, it was addicting.  The lid is clean and complete.

That's where I finished.  The bowl is another story.  There is a lot of rusty metal.  Whats left of the finish needs to be stripped and cleaned.  The leg sockets are rusted tight and the thumbscrews are welded with rust to the sockets.

Right now, the sockets and thumbscrews are being bathed in PB Blaster with hopes that they will free up.  The weld holding the front leg to the bowl is rusted through and fairly loose.  Im also going to have to fabricate an old school ash pan.  My goal is to restore this as best I can using all the original parts.  More pics to come as this proceeds. 

One final note.....a special THANK YOU to Harbormaster for giving me the opportunity to uncover this buried treasure.  It is an amazing grill and he is one great guy. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:35:38 AM by G »

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Re: Custom Bar B Que Kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »
That's a great story. From start to finish that lid looks like a completely different lid. congrats!!
A Wonderful Family!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »

Amazing !!!

they are still out there, just hiding !!!!

Wondering if this originally had the triangular ash/ tool tray across the bottom....the hole in the front leg is the clue?

Also amazing is that the daisy wheels are all still there !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »
That lid is great!
I can't wait for the rest of the project.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »
Wow - what a great project.  Classic example of an amazing kettle that probably would have ended up in the landfill had it not been for Harbormaster and G.  Looking forward to future updates!

Winz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:00:04 AM »
Buried Treasure !

It'll need a Pirate's name......Black Beard, Calico Jack, Black Bart mebbe.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:08:58 AM by DirectDrive »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »
Amazing to think of the guy (or girl) on the line, doing a Jackson Pollock on these customs. Speaking of him, this one was done in 1950. Makes you wonder if George was a fan?

Like the Westerner - a true handcrafted work of art grill. I'd be tempted to simply mount the lid on my living room wall. You're a lucky man G!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:02:48 AM by MartyG »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »
Great story!
You have done some fine work on that lid.  :D

The bowl is another story.

I had a feeling you were going to say this ...  :-\
Look forward to the progress pics. Another spring project, eh?!  :o :P ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
What a fantastic and remarkable find you two!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
That is awesome.
-Keith

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »
That's an amazing find! It seems to me that when George was at the helm, he traveled the world and used his insight to create all the grills that we cherish today.. Cmon, I wanna see the model that inspired his boobie grill, don't you?! Lol..
In any case, art or cooker, its a piece of the past and has a long life to go into the future.
As for those thumb screws, I saw where someone heated up the metal surrounding the threads and then hit it with some penetrating oil to help loosen the threads.. I definitely will give that a try in the future..
I'm sure you'll get lots of friendly advice on bringing this old girl back to life.
Isn't that why were all here? Enjoy!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Craig

• WKC Mod
Custom Bar B Que Kettle
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
This is a most awesome find! Well done Harbormaster and G! I can't wait to see the additional progress to the finish. I've been discussing doing the Jackson Pollack finish to my custom fifties 18 with Duke. I think the white paint would hold up, but I haven't braved it yet. I look forward to discussing triangle pan fabricating methods and ideas. IMO it's the hardest piece to get sized right. Well to me anyway..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:20:29 AM by Craig »

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
Amazing to think of the guy (or girl) on the line, doing a Jackson Pollock on these customs. Speaking of him, this one was done in 1950. Makes you wonder if George was a fan?

Like the Westerner - a true handcrafted work of art grill. I'd be tempted to simply mount the lid on my living room wall. You're a lucky man G!

I was thinking the same thing! I guess that means that there would be no two of these alike. Each one different depending on the mood of the line person. Very cool.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
This is a most awesome find! Well done Harbormaster and G! I can't wait to see the additional progress to the finish. I've been discussing doing this to my custom fifties 18 with Duke. I think the white paint would hold up, but I haven't braved it yet. I look forward to discussing triangle pan fabricating methods and ideas. IMO it's the hardest piece to get sized right. Well to me anyway..

Craig, you need to totally hook him up with a triangle pan.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »
Very Nice!