Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about SS Performer....  (Read 1777 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Question about SS Performer....
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Hey guys, have a question about a SS Performer. So, I'm turning to the experts for help. I have a 1995 (EO) SS Performer. The previous owner replaced the ash sweep rod/handle that slides left-right along the cutout groove of the ash ring. The rod fits really tight in the cut out groove. When I slide the handle left-right, it is actually cutting the metal rod.

Are there two different size rod handles out there with different thicknesses or could the problem be with the ash ring? This one appears to be too thick for the cut out groove of the ash ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.   
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Question about SS Performer....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
I don't have a Performer but have had similar problems on a MT (same style ash sweeps).  In some cases, I have found that the aluminum piece above the ash sweep slot was bent downwards, narrowing the width of the sweeper slot.  In another case, the previous owner installed the washer with the ash bucket bar moving the handle downwards and also making the sweep very difficult to operate.  In  other cases where I couldn't identify a problem, I just gave the sweeper rod a slight bend where it connects with the grill in the opposite direction of where its rubbing on the ash ring.  This always seemed to work.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
I've just been monkeying with a OTG which has the same ash pot system.

I had it working with both the (aluminized steel) thumb screw type system and now with the (stainless steel) "H" drive system.

I would verify that he installed the system correctly and make sure that the handle is not bent.
Check that the ring that carries the pot is up snug.
The sweep petals are marked 1-2-3 and install in sequence.

Got any pics ?

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
You said that the handle seems to be too big in diameter to properly fit the slot in the ring. However, is it possible that the issue is instead that the handle is positioned too close to the top of the slot and is therefore binding against the top of the slot? I'm still fairly new to this stuff, but this almost sounds like a '7409 ash sweep system vs. the "H" type ash sweep system' issue. I believe the 1995 models came with the 7409 system, isn't that correct? If the previous owner mistakenly replaced the ash sweep assembly with parts from an "H" type kit, I think the result might be some sort of binding such as you are describing. Just a guess, but thought I'd throw it out.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
It's also possible that your ash collar is bent, making the slot smaller. What kind of damper is on it? H or hex? Your SS should have a hex(7409 style). The 7444 will bind.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
It's also possible that your ash collar is bent, making the slot smaller. What kind of damper is on it? H or hex? Your SS should have a hex(7409 style). The 7444 will bind.

The damper is the hex style. I'll check the collar ring and see if it's straight. That could be it?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »

The damper is the hex style. I'll check the collar ring and see if it's straight. That could be it?

This top part bends over and crushes the ash sweep handle.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
The sweep rod tightens in the middle of the travel. Seems ok at the far left and the far right. I'll check the roundness of the ash ring tomorrow in the daylight. That's probably it. Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions.