Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber support question. New Performer problem.  (Read 2257 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Weber support question. New Performer problem.
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
I got a new Performer for Christmas. Yay. It's not working right though. Boo.

Anyway, what's the normal turnaround time for Weber customer support through email in your experience? I emailed this morning, but assume it's a day or two?

Maybe someone can help me troubleshoot in the mean time. After I shut off the gas assist, the propane stays lit where the burner assembly meets the hose & regulator with orifice
clip (looks like a pilot light is lit). If you don't unscrew the propane bottle after use, you will come out to an empty propane bottle next time you use the grill.

I securely close the valve with the gas knob after each use.

Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber support question. New Performer problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
Just give them a call and you'll be helped right away. That sounds quite dangerous so I hope you get it sorted asap.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
I've gotten response from email queries anywhere from within the hour up to 3-4 days later. I'd give them a ring...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »
You've turned off the gas at the bottle and have a flame at the clip?  Hmmmm.  Sounds like the OPD valve is not right.  In the meantime, close the needle valve just forward of the regulator.  Looks like a little bent wire.  Turn it so it's perpendicular to the gas line.   That should cut off any gas seeping from the tank leaking.
Do you have another tank you can test with? 
WTB 18 fruit

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm on my second bottle of propane after I figured out the problem (doesn't shut off with the 2nd bottle either) I'm just using the standard Coleman propane bottles you find everywhere like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Propane-Fuel-16.4-oz/20923696
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:09:57 PM by AZ Monsoon »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »
You've turned off the gas at the bottle and have a flame at the clip?  Hmmmm.  Sounds like the OPD valve is not right.  In the meantime, close the needle valve just forward of the regulator.  Looks like a little bent wire.  Turn it so it's perpendicular to the gas line.   That should cut off any gas seeping from the tank leaking.
this is the newer one that uses the disposable cartridge. I don't think it has an OPD valve as it's not meant to be refilled. I'm not sure it has the other valve you mention either.

It sounds like the shutoff valve is defective and Weber will likely have a new one on the way as soon as he talks to them.
kettles, smokers...

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
^Yeah, I just realized OP was said "new" performer.  I guess I'm stuck in the SS frame of mind, lol.  I've been having some difficulty with my SS and so it's currently top-of-mind.
WTB 18 fruit

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
I talked to Weber today and they're sending me a new regulator. Hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks again for the help.