Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I got this for free!  (Read 1589 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
I got this for free!
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »
It's not a weber, but it will clean up nice. 1/4" steel and damn near a 100lbs. Little surface rust but a wire brush will nock that right off. Even has a custom made cover.

A Wonderful Family!!!

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: I got this for free!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
Tremendous Score!  Congrats!! An Original Oklahoma Joe.  One of the best cookers ever made.  I personally own three and have restored seven.  Four were placed in new homes.  PM me if you like and I can tell you my restoration process.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »
Nice work, Peas!  She's a beaut-- can't wait to see what you cook up on her.

You've got so many grills in your backyard that at some point I would think it would implode from the sheer mass.  Might turn into a kind of wormhole in the space/time continuum.  So be careful, okay? 
One of the charcoal people.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
Great score! Must be a trick to move w/out wheels.

I have a New Braunfels Black Diamond. It's 1/8" steel so I suppose it is half way between the modern cheapies and something like an OK Joe.

Were it me, I'd be looking for a fire box for that but for all I know, you might be able to smoke with it as is.

kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
Free is the best price of all regardless of make.  Congrats!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
I got this for free!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »

Great score! Must be a trick to move w/out wheels.

I have a New Braunfels Black Diamond. It's 1/8" steel so I suppose it is half way between the modern cheapies and something like an OK Joe.

Were it me, I'd be looking for a fire box for that but for all I know, you might be able to smoke with it as is.

You are right. It is heavy and a pain to move. But thanks to Harris92 I am going to give Horizon Smokers a call and see about getting some steel wheels for it. Now just to figure out a way to mount them so she's not off kilter.
A Wonderful Family!!!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Peas,

Here is a good picture of the wheels on an Okie Joe. You may have to cut the legs a bit.  I have seen your model Okie Joe with wheels.  I will look some for that one.