Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cover Me!!  (Read 1925 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Cover Me!!
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »
I am looking on Amazon for covers for my kettles. I keep them either in my garage or on the covered patio, so they don't sit in the rain or sun. I am just keeping the dirt/sawdust/paint overspray off of them. The standard covers are not receiving good reviews, but most of the bad reviews seem to have them in the weather.
I have one old premium cover and it is great, but I can buy three standard covers for the price of one premium!
When it comes right down to it I am cheap!!;D
Does anyone have any experience with the standard covers?
 Would you recommend them for sheltered use?
Thanks!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cover Me!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
The ones I keep in the garage, I cover with the standard cover. When I take them outside, I put the deluxe covers on. I have a bunch, so it works good when you are rotating grills. It its inside, it'll get a standard cover.

I just got ready for hurricane season. last year my garage was under water from Superstorm Sandy. All my grills are now raised off the floor. Hopefully I won't have to do that again!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:29:46 PM by tattooedant »
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
I was going to post something similar to this.  I need 3 covers and it would be hard to spend almost $100 on 3 premium covers.   I have one standard cover and it's fine I guess.  Since you keep yours garaged and only need them for sawdust / overspray a standard cover might be fine.  I do wonder if the premium covers are 3x the cost.  If so, why?  Seems like a huge price increase from one to the next. 
WTB 18 fruit

TwinDr.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
The standard covers fade and are not "weather" proof.
"Yes honey, I don't know what I was thinking."

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
^ Really?  That sucks.  Like I said, I have one but it hasn't seen any weather that I know of since the kettle it came with is new to me.  Good to know.  I guess I'll be investing in some premium covers. 
WTB 18 fruit

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
The premium cover that I have came with an older OTG that I bought. It has obviously spent many AZ summers on an uncovered patio. I picked it up in the Carefree foothill area, so it saw freezing temps every winter also. It is starting to crack, but it has done its job!
I think I will order the standards. They should be good for my purposes.:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
The standard covers are awful, they disintegrate in the sun, and I don't exactly live in the desert...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
I bought one of the standard (gray) covers a year ago this spring. I replaced it this summer because it was shredding. If you want to protect from dust and so on for inside storage they would probably be adequate. If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the premium cover, try some heavy duty trash bags of appropriate size.
kettles, smokers...

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
try some heavy duty trash bags of appropriate size.

^ This. 55 gallon trash bag fits a 22 kettle. And you can get 50 for about the same price as 3 crappy covers.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
I bought one of the standard (gray) covers a year ago this spring. I replaced it this summer because it was shredding. If you want to protect from dust and so on for inside storage they would probably be adequate. If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the premium cover, try some heavy duty trash bags of appropriate size.

I glad someone said this before I committed heresy. Why not just cover with an old sheet? You can wash that...
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
The premium covers are nice but $$$$. I have felt the standard one up close and even for $11 I would not be proud to spend money on that. My buddy has one that's been outside for a year in SF where it barely rains and it's brittle and worn already. Your $ would be better spent on a tarp, moving blankets, sheet, or even heavy duty trash bags. If you wanted to get fancy you can get heavy duty tarp or masking material, cut it up into a 3d box with a pyramid on top shape and tape the seams with duct tape. That should last a really long time too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791