Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Am I overpaying?!  (Read 1926 times)

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
Am I overpaying?!
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »
I am going to drive about 120 miles round trip in about an hour to get a SS black performer. It will be my first performer. He said the ash blades are rusty but everything else is good. It comes with cover that will need to be replaced and an empty gas bottle. Is $130 too much?

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
Most of the pickups I get are at least an hour away from me...I usually don't think twice about most of them...I've gone further and paid more for my SS performer...
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
$130 isn't bad, there's a black one in Nashville for $135. Look for rust around the bottom of the frame. Check for dings on the kettle and SS etc. anything to use as a bargaining point to try and lower the price. Good luck!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »
Be sure the tank can be refilled. It has to have the OPD, otherwise you'll be in for some significant $ to convert to a modern tank. Covers - when you can find them - are around $50. Be sure the support bracket for the OT system is solid. You can find the blades, but the bracket is more elusive.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
I agree. "Blades are rusty, it's an older cooker, so I'll have a little trouble locating some replacements. Hopefully I can get the tank refilled, it looks like it's expired. I'll give you $100."     8)

And welcome to the fun.

Dude, relax your chicken.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
I have an extra set of those blades if they are wasted, We can work out a deal that can help you out....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Thanks so much!! On my way to nashville now. Hope it works out!! Y'all are great!

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
Oh and what is OPD on the tank? I'm new to gas tanks.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
Sweet I'm glad that SS is going to a WKC member. Have a safe trip, it's raining today.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
Oh and what is OPD on the tank? I'm new to gas tanks.

Overflow Protection Device.

Over simplified, it's the triangle shaped valve.

The date code is stamped on the collar (mm/yy) and you've got 12 years from then.

Most places I've been to, they don't even look at the date. This is where I state the 'if you blow yourself up don't blame me' disclaimer.

If it's a star shaped valve, don't bother filling. It's not protected.

Dude, relax your chicken.

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
Am I overpaying?!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
Ha ok. Thanks. That disclaimer cracked me up!!