Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New style Rotti Ring?  (Read 3429 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
New style Rotti Ring?
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think our Seppo brothers night have a take on what I will show.

As far as I know, the original Weber Rotti Ring has tabs on the bottom to hold it on top off your kettle as is depicted in the following picture. It's not terribly clear but I think it will show what I mean.

This second and third picture were snapped yesterday at a local BBQ store. It seems to show that the Rotti Ring has lost the tabs and grown a ripple around it's circumference to make it a friction fit into the lip of a kettle rather than on top of it. I hope that makes sense, and the pictures show the difference.

Can anyone in the States tell me which one is available to you? Is the ribbed version the new version? I did ask in the shop and they insist that this is a genuine Weber item, although our website still shows the tabbed version. I can foresee that the ribbed version would give a better seal than the tabbed one.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk now Free
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:11:58 PM by Jocool »
If it breathes, we can cook it!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: New style Rotti Ring?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
Jo as far as I know, me owning an older roti it has the tabs you refer to o. The first roti you posted pics of. Now mine I picked up used and it didn't have the same roti rod and motor as the other webers I have seen so maybe it is quite a bit older, not for sure. But what I do know for sure is my brother just picked a weber roti up new at the end of August and it does not have the tabs but the ripple or bulge ring at the bottom. So I would say the one you seen is a weber product.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:00:10 PM by AZ_MIKEY »
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Thanks Mikey. So I guess that the newer version. Am I right in assuming that it would be a better seal as far as smoke escaping goes?

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
You are assuming correctly. I have to make little foil gaskets to make mine completely air tight, especially on my performer due to the lid bail nuts affecting how it sits on the tabs and making it kinda bow shape into a oblong shape instead of a circle. Now on the newer style I know they seal very good on a normal kettle but not sure on the performer.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
I have one of the newer style (ribbed) rotisserie rings and it fits fine on performers and MT's. They cut out two small notches on the ring to clear the lid bale bolts.
Uncommon sense seeker

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »
Wow.  Thanks guys, i for one did not realze they had introduced a better fitting model.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know they changed their design.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »
Problem is the model number is still 2290, so if you order one you might get stale inventory and get one with tabs.
Uncommon sense seeker

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
In my case, I figure if the non premium Weber retailer already has the newer version, there wouldn't be much chance of copping the older version. It's not something that a retailer would keep too many off in their inventory.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
This is interesting and a welcome change! OEM WSM extension, and roti all in one! I bet this is for costs savings with an added benefit of better fit.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
Lookz like weber is finally.paying more attention.  However, I have never had any problems with my 30.00 cl tabbed weber roti.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
Lookz like weber is finally.paying more attention.  However, I have never had any problems with my 30.00 cl tabbed weber roti.

I bet it's mostly driven by cost cutting. 4 less parts and one less operation to make.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Re: New style Rotti Ring?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »

I bet it's mostly driven by cost cutting. 4 less parts and one less operation to make.

I would have thought it would cheaper to make and fit the tabs than to get new tooling and dies to give you the ripple.