Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is there a difference?  (Read 4723 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Is there a difference?
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
I'm still on the learning-curve part of smoking foods.   I'm curious if some of the more experienced members here could answer a question for me.

Is there any difference between the taste of food smoked on a WSM (or UDS) and a Weber kettle?

My thoughts are that the WSM (or UDS) is easier to run than a Kettle when it comes to longer cooks, but should one expect a difference in the taste of food cooked on each?
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is there a difference?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:24:20 AM »
Hmmmm...I hadn't even considered that. I just got my WSM and have only used it twice so I can't really give an informed decision. Interested in people's responses to this.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
The process in a kettle vs. UDS or WSM is pretty similar. Likely the biggest difference would be whether the meat 'sees' the charcoals. I think that's typical in the UDS and perhaps in the kettle. In the WSM there is usually something between the charcoal and meat. The difference here is whether the heat transfer is exclusively convection (movement of air) or radiation (heat waves directly from heat source to meat.) A secondary effect will be if the drippings from the meat fall onto the coals or another surface hot enough to vaporize them to redeposit on the meat. (this is how the flavorizer bars work on the Weber gassers.)

I have done ribs by hanging in the WSM above the fire (similar to how the Pit Barrel Cooker cooks) and I felt it resulted in a different flavor.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »

Hank's ( per usual !!!) right on.......the dripping will change things & directness of the heat.....

A lot of people use diffusers in their UDS, like the water pan/ diffuser in WSM's.....I watch what people who cook on these things all the time have to say & the drippings, for a very long cook sometimes will even cause bitter flavoring......

But, Hank'as rib hanging trick looks like it would be just the right amount......it's wild looking setup, BTW........ ;D

See Here ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/hang-in-there-baby!/msg18276/#msg18276
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Do you guys fill the water pan with water, or  sand, or nothing?

Ken

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
Good comments so far guys!

Ken-
I have a small UDS (made using a Smokey Joe lid) and it has a 12" clay saucer (flower pot base) that is wrapped in aluminum-foil inside as a diffuser.  I don't use any sand or water.  It just works to help keep any hotspots at bay and catches the drippings.  I've been meaning to try it sometime without the clay saucer just to see if I can tell the difference in the taste of the food.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
I used my WSM for the first time on the weekend and I noticed that the temps shot up higher than I expected (seemed to want to settle around the 300-320 mark. I had the water bowl in and lined with foil but I found that when I added water to it the temp settled down (back to 240-250) and stayed consistent until the water evaporated. Adding more had the same effect. Mine is a 2004 18.5 which has the shallower, thinner water pan so not sure if that makes a difference.

Ken

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
Ken, sounds like "too much" lit fuel or you have an air leak.  Also, you will get a spike if you fiddle around taking the lid off, and etc. etc.  That assumes the pit is seasoned qnd sealed. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »
I used my WSM for the first time on the weekend and I noticed that the temps shot up higher than I expected (seemed to want to settle around the 300-320 mark. I had the water bowl in and lined with foil but I found that when I added water to it the temp settled down (back to 240-250) and stayed consistent until the water evaporated. Adding more had the same effect. Mine is a 2004 18.5 which has the shallower, thinner water pan so not sure if that makes a difference.

Ken

I bet it's a leak. Does it shutdown easily at the end of a cook?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »

Ken

I bet it's a leak. Does it shutdown easily at the end of a cook?

It seemed to shut down okay, but then i have only tried to shut it down onec. The weekend was the first time i used it.

I can see smoke escape from around the door, and one side of the lid (the side that had the cables fro the probes on it) but even then it was only a little. I have ordered the nomex gasket kit too.

Ken

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:06:53 AM »
How many briquettes/ charcoal did you light?
Remember over at Golly's we only lit about 6 pieces of charcoal and it sat at 250f all day long
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »
How many briquettes/ charcoal did you light?
Remember over at Golly's we only lit about 6 pieces of charcoal and it sat at 250f all day long

I used heat beads. Only lit about 6-7 of them.

Ken

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
I can see smoke escape from around the door, and one side of the lid (the side that had the cables fro the probes on it) but even then it was only a little. I have ordered the nomex gasket kit too.

IMO what you see leaking out (the smoke) is not the real problem. That is excess air leaking in.

When my 18.5 WSM (47 metric) was new I could close all the vents and it would hold about 250°F (121°C) until the charcoal burned to ash. I fixed this by running a bead of high temperature silicone around the groove at the bottom edge of the middle section.

After a few smokes, sufficient residue will build up and help seal these joints.

I would not run thermometer probes under the lid as that can damage them. I use a cheap hardware store grommet.

(After I did this one, I figured out that one grommet is sufficient.  ::) )

Water in the pan is a big help while you get the hang of precise temperature control. I used that for years. Now I usually foil the pan because I have learned how to get the temperature where I want it. I have also come to realize that holding 225 vs 250 or even 275 just isn't that important. All will produce good results sooner or later.
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
I agree Hank
Seasoning does wonders!!
When I bought mine I cleaned till it shined inside and out
But the temps roared and I couldn't get them down for low and slow but after I cooked on it a few times it started to dial in real easy
I used a gasket around the door but not around the the lid/bowl
I also have have the probe leads between the lid/bowl and have not had a problem
Even with accessories on I have no probs with temp control
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution