Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me with dating.  (Read 4671 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Help me with dating.
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
 :)

Craig or anyone:

Assume a MBH bowl with new style wide vent tabs on the three daisy wheels.
Assume current style whitewall wheels.
Assume the lid has a small vent tab, and the Bar B Kettle logo.

Can we assume this is 1976?
Can we assume it should certainly have a flat twist ash pan?

I was under the impression that the change to current wheels coincided with the change to the top vent having the engraved Weber logo (and later embossed version).   Something does not seem to add up.  Any thoughts?

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Help me with dating.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
As far as I understand, you are in the dating abyss. We really need some catalogs or ads from that time to get some more data.

I had the same question on a kettle I picked up. That period should have a twist on thin ash pan. I think relying on wheels to accurately date kettles can be hard because of the easy chance that they were replaced. Same possibility for the ash pan I suppose. Especially if the items on the kettle are newer than you think they should be.

I also have a feeling the BBK vent was used longer than thought but without any ads or photos there is no way to know for sure.

Not sure my rambling helps or makes sense.

Maybe someone else can get you a better looking date. ;)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Help me with dating.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
TBS,
I agree we may never know something like the wheels, but based on a few things, I am confident they are original.  Plus, they are consistent with the bowl type in any case.  The top vent is the question, and you and I are of the same mind in that;  it really is an imperfect period of dating.

Re the ash pan, I know it came with a twist but I can not recall what years they had the twist with the rounded edges.  If I am remembering correctly it was about 1980 that that was introduced and it last 5 or so years.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
Just updating the vent chart that may be new to some members. It will be expanded in the new year, but here are the various vents that have been documented, and the years they show up. As always, the details are subject to change as unknown kettles show up, but so far this is a pretty good guide.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Help me with dating.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »

Re the ash pan, I know it came with a twist but I can not recall what years they had the twist with the rounded edges.  If I am remembering correctly it was about 1980 that that was introduced and it last 5 or so years.

From the notes I have made, yes I know strange, the twist on rolled edge should be used from 1979 - 1986. That is what I have noted from the contributions I found on the WKC.

Hope that helps.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Dating abyss is right! I'm always studying and learning and correcting. We do need catalogs for sure.

Wheels (1970s)
Plastic rims with rubber treads and thick whitewalls: Very early 1970s, more than likely 1970-1971.
Early all plastic wheels, including treads and thin whitewalls. 1972-1975
Modern plastic wheels (used today) I think were introduced during 1975.  Kettles from 1974 had small bowl tabs, I have a 22.5 Bar-B-Q-Kettle lid vent with large bowl tabs but the old style plastic wheels. I'm thinking mine is a '75. I've seen others with the same setup, but with newer wheels.

Ash Catchers (1970s)
thin/flat edge twist ash pans: Mid 1960s-1979
rolled edge twist pans: Changed during 1979 and issued through 1986. "A" code kettles have been seen with both types. My red 22 has the flat edge, Marty G has a black 18 with the rolled edge pan.

Now: Lid Vents, lets make it even more interesting...
Patent Pending.... ok its well documented that the patent number of 3538906 was granted on 11/10/1970. Well.......... The 1972 catalog, lists the 18 and 22.5 kettles as "patent pending" on the pages featuring those kettles. Why? Don't have a clue! The 1973 catalog gives the patent number....  :o  It's got me thinking, we do see an awful lot of Patent Pending kettles for such a short window of time ('69-'70). Is it possible that Weber took two years to revise the lid vents with the patent number? Did Weber have a stock pile of Patent Pending lid vents made not knowing at the time when they would be granted the patent and not waste good materials? If so, that would account for the wide range of wheel styles we've seen on Patent Pending kettles. Sorry to turn this into a dork-off, but to me, studying these kettles is like watching your favorite movie over and over and catching something you missed the last time you watched.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:46:48 PM by Craig »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »

Patent Pending.... ok its well documented that the patent number of 3538906 was granted on 11/10/1970. Well.......... The 1972 catalog, lists the 18 and 22.5 kettles as "patent pending" on the pages featuring those kettles. Why? Don't have a clue! The 1973 catalog gives the patent number....  :o  It's got me thinking, we do see an awful lot of Patent Pending kettles for such a short window of time ('69-'70). Is it possible that Weber took two years to revise the lid vents with the patent number? Did Weber have a stock pile of Patent Pending lid vents made not knowing at the time when they would be granted the patent and not waste good materials?

I have suspected this for a while.  PAT PENDING had to appear on kettles for more than 2 years.  There are just too many around, in too many configurations.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
Dating abyss is right! I'm always studying and learning and correcting. We do need catalogs for sure.

Wheels (1970s)
Plastic rims with rubber treads and thick whitewalls: Very early 1970s, more than likely 1970-1971.
Early all plastic wheels, including treads and thin whitewalls. 1972-1975
Modern plastic wheels (used today) I think were introduced during 1975.  Kettles from 1974 had small bowl tabs, I have a 22.5 Bar-B-Q-Kettle lid vent with large bowl tabs but the old style plastic wheels. I'm thinking mine is a '75. I've seen others with the same setup, but with newer wheels. 

So Craig, to net it out, you think my date of 1976 is correct, with a possibility of 1975 for this kettle (Modern Wheels, Large bowl tabs, BBQK vent).  At least as our best guess.  If so, we might want to adjust the dates on the vent guide....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:20:56 PM by G$ »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »
I have suspected this for a while.  PAT PENDING had to appear on kettles for more than 2 years.  There are just too many around, in too many configurations.

Case in point. I've seen way more Patent Pending avocado kettles, then 'cados with the patent number. Avocado believed to have been dropped for 1974 in favor or "Key Lime" or the 'limeys'   ;)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
So Craig, to net it out, you think my date of 1976 is correct, with a possibility of 1975 for this kettle (Modern Wheels, Large bowl tabs, BBQK vent).  At least as our best guess.

Yes and Yes!  :D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
10 comments and no references to G$'s eligibility as a bachelor? I'm disappointed in you all. He asked for DATING tips. First hide your Webers! Lol
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Help me with dating.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
I was going to post he should check www.match.com but bailed last second lol

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
I was going to post he should check www.match.com but bailed last second lol

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."

Thought the same.  The vent chart is awesome.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »
10 comments and no references to G$'s eligibility as a bachelor? I'm disappointed in you all. He asked for DATING tips. First hide your Webers! Lol
I thought about it. But, you know... these long distance affairs are fraught with difficulties. And besides, I'm already in a committed relationship.
kettles, smokers...

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
This definitely isn't the thread I was expecting lol