Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My New Cajun Bandit ROT  (Read 4794 times)

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
My New Cajun Bandit ROT
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I decided to get he Cajun Bandit ROT to fit my Performer and WSM. Overall I like the SS construction and it fits the WSM great and also flips to fit the kettle............:thumb: But you can't get the motor on............:tsk:

Here's a look at the inside. Anybody see anything I did wrong please holler.

I'm thinking this collar with the set screw should be turned around so the spit rod can't walk out of the motor. Make sense to me. Any input? The instructions show it the other way. Also should the counterweight be tight between the knurl nut and spit handle or flop loosely?

Now for the motor. Very cheap tin made in Taiwan and runs a two D-cells. But will get 36 hours of run time...........We'll see about that.......:twitch:

Two cons right out of the chute. The cheap motor is one, but I'll give it a try. And it does not fit my Performer. It would fit a kettle but not a cart one. So I need to see if they have a special bracket,  which would work as I can then leave it permanently mounted therefore no changeover so this may be a plus. Anybody with one please chime in.
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
Re: My New Cajun Bandit ROT
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
I have the same everything.  The motor has ran flawless and have done 15+ cooks on it.  Set screw collar looks fine, mine sort of moves every now and again but I have never needed the counterweight if you position the meat in the middle.

You are going to love it, serious.  On my performer I had to move the motor kind of at a diagonal across which was kind of a pain, I agree.  That is why I bought my redhead from Bryan so now I have my pizza/roti cooker only.

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »
Set screw collar looks fine, mine sort of moves every now and again.

To me it makes sense to turn it around. This keeps the spit rod inside the motor and the entire thing from walking out. I'll try it both ways. I understand about the counterweight, good advice. Also thanks for the input on the motor. I still want to get a bracket so it fits my Performer. I think another bracket with some SS standoffs will do the trick. That way I can take off the motor, flip it and off we go. never have to take out the screws, and drop the washers.....FARK.
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Now that I have the rotisserie bug, I've been seriously considering the CB because of the WSM dual purpose feature.  Love the idea of the additional bracket for flip-and-go use.  But I'm still confused ---- how/why does this not fit the Performer?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
it WILL fit the performer - but you need to take off the motor mount and install it on the other set of holes.

you can buy another mount here, http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-brackets/

Also, i've had NO problems with that motor. I was initially concerned about it being cheap and battery powered, but I've spun GIANT turkeys (25lb), ribs, triple chickens, legs of lamb, pineapples, etc.
it's sat out spinning away in the rain and tornados. it's been licked by flames and glazed in sauces.

it still works great, and i've never changed the batteries! :)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
That is why I bought my redhead from Bryan so now I have my pizza/roti cooker only.
You cook pizza on the roti Bosi???
Now that I have too see :D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Dude...............they gave me the motor from HELL..............I LOVE IT. As for the Performer, the cart or the lid holder are in the way. I will get it to work with a separate bracket. And to use your phrase......."Flip and Go"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
As for the Performer, the cart or the lid holder are in the way. I will get it to work with a separate bracket. And to use your phrase......."Flip and Go"

maybe I'm not following this thread. Agree you have to re-mount the motor mount for use on a kettle vs. the WSM, or use a second bracket, but it works fine on the Performer as is - how can the cart of lid holder be in the way? Oh, and I use the collar inside the kettle as you see here.

Or maybe you're saying with TWO brackets installed, it won't fit the Performer? Is that right?

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
I tried that it doenst work........................Or less beer eh. Let me try again

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
I've got the same setup, the motor is still rolling strong after hours and hours, and I've had no problems putting it on my Performer. I don't have the SS version though.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
My New Cajun Bandit ROT
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Same set up for me also...... Motor looks cheap, but mine keeps on rolling along, no problems yet. Batteries last a long time too.... I use mine on a Performer also, you just might have to rotate it to see where/how it fits on yours? Motor in rear like Marty does.

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
As for the Performer, the cart or the lid holder are in the way. I will get it to work with a separate bracket. And to use your phrase......."Flip and Go"

maybe I'm not following this thread. Agree you have to re-mount the motor mount for use on a kettle vs. the WSM, or use a second bracket, but it works fine on the Performer as is - how can the cart of lid holder be in the way? Oh, and I use the collar inside the kettle as you see here.

Or maybe you're saying with TWO brackets installed, it won't fit the Performer? Is that right?

I tried that.................I think.................Hey were's the beer..............I'l check it out again.............Thanks

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:16 AM »
Nice!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
My New Cajun Bandit ROT
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 03:33:10 AM »
Congrats my man!  That thing has been on my wishlist for a while now. Definitely prefer the look of the CB stainless steel. Now all we need is the pron!

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »
Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Chris is great to work with and he told me no problem fitting a Performer. I also have the bandit conversion kit so that's the ring I'll be getting.

Pics to follow.