Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So what's your deal?  (Read 3969 times)

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
So what's your deal?
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
We have a lot of talk in different threads about the "value" of this kettle or the "value" of that kettle. Ultimately, we all understand the value is what ever a buyer and seller negotiate. For me, much of the fun is based on how nice of a kettle I can find for as little money as possible. So, how about sharing your best deals or scores based on lowest paid for the nicest condition? Some of you probably have some pretty nice freebies tucked away. Have anything you care to share that will turn the used kettle market on end?

I'll start with a late 70's BBK that was hardly used which I acquired for $20.  I know you all can do better....

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: So what's your deal?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
TBS, it is funny you mention this.

I was just going to post a similar thread with a slightly broader bent.  What is the AVERAGE price you have paid for all your kettles?  Similar to how  the "how many kettles" thread has inaccurately counted our total kettles, it would very inaccurately portray what the actual average price  we have paid is!  (no offense intended Marty!)

I know there are A LOT of kettles that were acquired free.  I know there were some that were a premium.  And I know most fall in the middle.

Until this very week, I had not paid more than 35 for any single kettle!  I paid 15 dollars for a very good OTS and SJS combo (WITH cover in new condition!).   I just sold that SJS for 10 bucks, so I am netting the cost on that OTS (WITH cover in new condition!) at 5 bucks!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:55:10 PM by G$ »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
By the way, I love the unintended hammer type finish on that kettle lid.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:52:53 PM »

Got this copper Joe with a cover, chimney, and some charcoal for $10

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
So what's your deal?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

The wife ordered over a $1000.00 from uline at work and had this waiting for me today. FREE!!!  For me anyway. Cost some one $1400.00. :).

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
$20

$10 (thanks to Zavod44 for agenting)

$40 without craycorts

$75

$FREE.99

$40

$125

$65

Everything else has been market price, or uninteresting.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

"What is the AVERAGE price you have paid for all your kettles? "

$10.35   $290 / 28 kettles, counting since people started giving them to me, or FORD's

Best, NICEST deal was the Blue Mastertouch.....baskets, tool hanger, condiment rack, new chimney, hand tools, small chipping at one of the bale attachments, very small scratching on the lid, IT'S VERY BLUE, with an OK cover....$35

Best all-around deal......

Two fairly beat redheads, one is in nicer shape than I 1st thought, old style skewer rack, kinda worn but all pieces intact & two corn 'n' tater racks.....$40 total.................

Most were free.................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »

TBS....that's a nice dang kettle.....those are getting harder to find & I've actually paid for one now.....

Gummi wins some kind of prize for a $125 Ranch....dontcha think?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
$25 for this one via Brian...

...that I cleaned up and traded even up for this NIB '79 A-code...

And then there was my $20 flea-market felony:

And before my black phase, $30 brought this one home:

Most ever paid for a kettle to date is $143.00. There's a story behind that, stay tuned.

Oh, and my average so far is $52.80 to the best of my recollection. (Only one free kettle.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:39:22 PM by MartyG »

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »
Man, now this is some inspiration!  Dis is what I am talkin bout! I have spent more than I should have for a couple I wanted but the hope to get some of these deals is what makes it fun for me. Keep em coming, I know there are more out there (and certainly plenty more to come).

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
Walked up to a garage sale earlier this summer and saw a BLACK kettle sitting there with a $10 ticket sitting on the lid-handle.   It was after work so I was tired, hot out, the grill had a dent in the lid, and I was grumpy, so I just left it and headed home.  After cooling down and eating some dinner later that night, I said to myself, "Why didn't I buy that grill!?!?!?  It was a C-code 3-wheeler!"

I laid awake that night wondering if the grill had been sold.

So, I went back the next morning hoping it would be there, and it was.  I was ready to hand the lady running the sale a $10-bill, when I heard her say "Ugh, yesterday was kinda fun, but I'm DONE with this garage sale stuff!!" to another lady who was helping her run the sale.   At that point I thought I'd push my luck, so I said, "Would you take $5 for that old dented up grill over there?"

She goes, "You bet!" and snatched the $5 out of my hand.  Needless to say, I was happy!

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
So what's your deal?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
After my trip to pa I came home and found this gem marked $15 under red bbq grill on Craigslist   It was up for 12 days and I figured there is no way it's still there. Sure enough it was and I quickly jumped in the car to get it. The least I've paid was $5 for a smokey joe and $75 for a 22.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
After my trip to pa I came home and found this gem marked $15 under red bbq grill on Craigslist   It was up for 12 days and I figured there is no way it's still there. Sure enough it was and I quickly jumped in the car to get it. The least I've paid was $5 for a smokey joe and $75 for a 22.

This is my new wallpaper on my phone. Hope you don't mind!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
So what's your deal?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
Not one bit! Is the resolution high enough? If not I will Dropbox one for anyone that wants it.

This has been my setup for a few months.

I also had that same lockscreen one on my nexus 10 at full res for awhile.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:06 PM »

CGA and the right smokey joe were each $7.00

My first weber was a SS performer for free.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado