Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Bowl Repurposing  (Read 2524 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Bowl Repurposing
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:26 AM »
I recently acquired a red SS Performer with the entire bottom of the bowl missing.

Yesterday, I removed the bowl and salvaged what I could.  I ended up with the handle and the side straps this which I am planning to attach to a red OTS bowl.  Should work to for building a non gas SS Performer:

I also removed the burner assembly and got the idea to modify my dead Gas Go Anywhere into a portable charcoal lighter.  The GA regulator works great and produces a large flame....no more paraffin cubes.
]

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
Re: SS Performer Bowl Repurposing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »
Excellent. How did you get the side straps off?
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
Angle grinder.  I used it on the inside of the bowl and worked my outward towards the weld.  After removing enough metal, the straps pop right off.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »

I also removed the burner assembly and got the idea to modify my dead Gas Go Anywhere into a portable charcoal lighter.  The GA regulator works great and produces a large flame....no more paraffin cubes.
]

I want to know more about the go anywhere mod. Did you cut the tube and pinch it at the end? I've always want a smoky joe mod for the exact purpose.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:22 AM »
Those brackets look much easier to produce than I was led to believe. I imagine a few people on the forum will be pleased to see those.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »
I want to know more about the go anywhere mod

No alterations needed other than cutting the steel bracket that holds the tube so it would fit inside the GA and drill a hole in the side to secure it.   I slid the tube assembly in from the inside and bolted it on.  It was an exact fit.  It could be a little tricky getting the correct sided hole in the curved side of a SJ but should still work well.  Go for it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
SS Performer Bowl Repurposing
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
Nice work! Look forward to seeing the rest of the project! What's the best way for getting the red handle off?

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
Nice job Stu, pretty cool mods!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
Man, how does that happen to a bowl?

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
I love that GA mod! Thanks for sharing that, I think I will add that to my to do list....

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
Nice job.  I love the "go anywhere" charcoal lighter mod!

BTW...  For those of you looking at this post lusting after one yourselves, it looks like the burner assembly is still available.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/burner-assembly-p-1477522.html

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »

Yesterday, I removed the bowl and salvaged what I could.  I ended up with the handle and the side straps this which I am planning to attach to a red OTS bowl.  Should work to for building a non gas SS Performer:

Great job! I'll bet there are a lot of folks drooling over those side straps... I wonder how a brownie SS Performer would look? 

I just finished turning my redhead SS non gas Performer into a gas assist performer a couple of hours ago.  Had to a drill a sizable hole into the side of the bowl, but it wasn't too bad.  Super stoked that it all turned out... unfortunately, haven't had a chance to cook on it, yet!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:23:25 AM »
What's the best way for getting the red handle off?
Either the angle grinder method described above or simply rocking it back and forth to break the weld.  This red handle popped off by breaking the spot welds with some easy rocking.