Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Damaged Leg  (Read 6356 times)

aharbaugh

• Smokey Joe
Damaged Leg
« on: February 09, 2024, 10:59:08 AM »
It's been a minute since I've been on this forum lest I fall down the rabbit hole again :D. However, I restored my grandpa's 1986 kettle a few years ago, and this page was my primary source of information. Thank you to all that shared your tips and tricks! I am back again seeking help - the triangle hole is damaged, so the triangle falls out if you even look at it wrong. Is there a way to repair or secure it? Am I better off just using the shower rod trick? Obviously, I'd like to keep original parts on as much as possible, but it damages the leg even more every time it slips out.

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: Damaged Leg
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 11:17:39 AM »
I’ve had success with EMT pipe sliding inside the newer legs.

For the older all aluminum legs, I was able to carefully do the same.  Although it took a combination of sanding and smoothing the outside of the EMT pipe, heating the aluminum leg hits a torch, penetrating oil, and a rubber mallet. I don’t recommend it, but I was determined to prove it was possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 01:45:42 PM »
I’d look for a used doner kettle for parts and use the front leg.  Then keep the rest in case you need parts in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 12:45:09 PM »
A new/used leg or bailing wire wrapped around the triangle and leg will fix it.  If you are in MD I will give you a new leg if you come pick it up.