Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turning a non-Touch & Go Performer into a Touch & Go...  (Read 2439 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Turning a non-Touch & Go Performer into a Touch & Go...
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
I inherited a Redhead non gas-assist SS Performer from my father-in-law a few years ago when he "upgraded" to a new one.  Love the man, but the redhead is not in the best shape... the frame is rusted and pitted, lid is slightly out of round, etc.  That being said, it has treated me very well since the day I got it, and I've done a bit to try and clean it up. 

I was fortunate enough to pick up a black SS Performer from stl-rich earlier this week (thanks again, Rich!).  The original idea was to swap out the bad parts on mine (mainly the frame), and sell the not-so-great-shape black Performer on CL.  I still intend to do so, but now am thinking.... it sure would be nice to have a Redhead SS Performer w/ gas assist.  So the question is... is worth the effort to drill a few holes in the red kettle to turn it into a Touch & Go?  I'm a bit leery about drilling holes in my only Redhead, and concerned about getting the spacing, drill hole size, etc correct.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:55:55 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Turning a non-One Touch Performer into a One Touch...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
All Perfomers are One Touch.  Did you mean turn it into a Touch and Go?  Touch and Go was their little nick name for the gas assist version. 

Keep in mind that hole for the burner tube is not actually round...its oval.  You also need to drill 2 small holes for the burner tube support bracket.  If you drill into the porcelain finish in the bowl, you'll have to use a center punch to start your hole so the drill bit doesn't walk around.  I'm sure it can be done, but work carefully and don't rush the work.  I've never tried it, or heard of anyone doing it.  Anyone want to chime in?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Turning a non-One Touch Performer into a One Touch...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »
All Perfomers are One Touch.  Did you mean turn it into a Touch and Go?  Touch and Go was their little nick name for the gas assist version. 

Keep in mind that hole for the burner tube is not actually round...its oval.  You also need to drill 2 small holes for the burner tube support bracket.  If you drill into the porcelain finish in the bowl, you'll have to use a center punch to start your hole so the drill bit doesn't walk around.  I'm sure it can be done, but work carefully and don't rush the work.  I've never tried it, or heard of anyone doing it.  Anyone want to chime in?

Yep... meant a Touch & Go. Thanks.  Haven't looked at it too closely, yet, didn't realize the burner tube hole was oval. That makes it a bit more challenging.  Still do-able, I think.  Would love to hear more thoughts...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Turning a non-Touch & Go Performer into a Touch & Go...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't just drill it perpendicularly but the end will sit lower. The burner tube is held concentrically so you can move it in to position it where you wish.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't just drill it perpendicularly but the end will sit lower. The burner tube is held concentrically so you can move it in to position it where you wish.
thats some big words there gummi :o ??? :P

drill away mate cant be that hard
take measurement from the black and transfer even make a template if your keen
id be drilling two holes perpendicular and cutting between the holes  to form the oval
any chipping of porcelain wont be seen underneath
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:35 PM »
How would you then treat the spot that you drilled/chipped the porcelain? Wouldn't that then be a spot that would start to rust?

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »
Ya gotta be careful of Redheads, they are tempermental   I suggest you buy a cheap kettle to practice on - only after you feel confident do you drill on sweet Red 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
Ya gotta be careful of Redheads, they are tempermental   I suggest you buy a cheap kettle to practice on - only after you feel confident do you drill on sweet Red 8)

Rich actually has a good point. The porcelain is thicker so it'll be more prone to chipping. I wouldn't worry about the rusting of the edge too much. Just touch it up to seal it and keep an eye on it and it should last a long time. You can use an endmill bit on a Dremel to hog out the hole then use a sanding drum to shape it into place.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791