Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??  (Read 666 times)

Troy

• Statesman
10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:17:56 PM »
Can you believe the Weber Kettle Club is 10 years old?

When we started collecting the history was unknown.

There were single-digit known rare kettles to exist and many yet to even be discovered.

We didn't know what all was out there or when they were made - but we knew they were magical.

Ten years later Weber has released MULTIPLE editions of collectible colors - a shining example of the WKC's impact.

Today I do most of my grilling on the 26" glen blue - a grill I refer to as the WKC edition.
I tried to make it happen at one point, but my visions for the WKC future were probably too optomistic at the time ;)

I still have a couple limes and my OG glen blue, but they haven't cooked in a few years.

How about you? What's in your collection and what are you cooking on?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: 10 years of collecting - what are we cooking on now??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 09:26:03 PM »
Thank you Troy!
Dude, relax your chicken.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 02:26:53 AM »
I have been on this fun ride for quite some time. 1st grill was a new 2010 26er now the collection is 100 plus, oldest is a '56 18 black, most cooks are on the WKC edition 26 or the black 26er but I love bringing the older grills in all the time for a cook. Still looking to add some special ones to the collection. @jebivswife and I are looking forward to the 10 anniversary meetup in Oct. !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:41:55 AM »
Yes, Thank you Troy! While I wasn’t here at the start, I have truly enjoyed the five years I’ve been involved with this hobby and appreciate all that you do!!

My daily driver is my 26” as well (wishing it was a GB). For me, it’s the perfect machine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:58:58 AM »
Thanks Troy for everything you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 05:14:22 AM »
I’ve been onboard for 5 years.  I have about 35 kettles, give or take a few.   I rotate through my vintage mbh 18 and 22s in the warmer months (March to October).  My SSP and now summit get winter work.   I probably cook on a Weber 250-300 days a year. 

I’ve met some grate people and made lasting friendships, which is the enduring part of the WKC.   This is a fun hobby and I’m glad to be a part of it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 05:26:39 AM by michaelmilitello »

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 06:42:47 AM »
I joined April 26, 2013 after acquiring my first freebie.  Been collecting non-stop since then. I sold nearly all of my vintage kettles to cover the cost of the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center 3 yrs ago. I said I would focus on cooking instead of collecting. Here I am 40+ kettles deep again. I mainly cook on the Summit Charcoal but occasionally pull out a kettle.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:38:30 AM by dwnthehatch »

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
I too use the Glen Blue 26er a ton...it's just so easy, especially with my slow-n-sear.  Use my SS Performer a lot as well...and I'm ashamed to admit it, but the Genesis Jr. gets a ton of use as well for brats and burgers.  Thanks @Troy and the other OG crew for getting this started.  It's been a fun ride.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
I didn’t get into it until last year, but man what a fun and rewarding hobby this is. I’ve only bought 2 kettles. The red 77 and the 26 lid and bowl were given to me by members, which is a great example of what an awesome group this is. Here’s a pic from a big cook in the spring where I had all 4 going. Thanks Troy!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 03:08:35 PM »
My 26 and my thumbscrew Texan have been getting a lot of work lately.
The 26 came to me through some hard work by @G$.
The infamous "Agent X" hooked me up with the Texan!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 03:13:11 PM »
Good to see you posting again Troy.  The Forum has missed you.

In February; 2016, I joined the WKC (member #12139) looking for information regarding an old, faded black 22" MBH given to me by a relative. At that time I owned one other kettle, a EE Code red mist MT I bought new in 1999.  I haven't really counted lately but I know I have more than 25.   

I'm usually just cooking for two (wife and I) so my daily driver is my "Black Cherry" (18" L Code).  Inspiration for the name comes from the dramatic color change when cooking on it. I added an ash bucket, SS ash sweeps, vintage wheels and some really distinctive Zavodd Cedar handles. 

Big thank you to Troy and all the original WKC members who did all of the research we now refer back to. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 03:24:27 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »
I joined in August 2013 - not sure why it took me so long - I'd previously spent time on tvwbb site and was aware when WKC launched.  Really have 2 daily drivers - special edition red 22" from 2018 and a J code 26" fleetwood (black - my first acquired "grail") - jumbo-joe/outrider that gets used a handful of times a year too.  Had about 20 or so kettles at one point, but consolidated to these 3 grills a few years back.  Then the glen-blue 26 came out and couldn't say no (still in box in garage), then the aristocrat I'd wanted for so long popped up (also unassembled in garage)... really don't need 3 26rs, but here I am.  Thanks @Troy and everyone else for building the go-to source for all things Weber kettles...

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »
I've only been here 9.5 years but in that time had a lot of laughs, met some nice people (including from all the way in Australia! What's up @kendoll ) and acquired way too many grills.  I missed out on the WKC edition but cook on my black 26er (aka the PeopleCooker) with beautiful Zavod handles, my WSM and a red SSP. Sadly, most of the time it's actually on my redhead 90s Genesis. At my FIL house it's almost all C&B green performer.

Thanks to the OGs for building (and maintaining) this place.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 03:44:03 AM »
About 2.5 years in and I’m really enjoying the hobby and the great grilling community that participates here.  I enjoy all my kettles, but am pretty much spoiled by the one touch clean out system and the control I have with the vents.  I cook mostly on my 26” Glen Blue, a Blue OTP and my red LE.  I’ll be getting my feet wet on the Summit Charcoal grill soon which could take over as a daily driver, we’ll see.  Thank you Troy and all members who have advanced this hobby!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 03:46:05 AM by bamakettles »

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 04:06:53 AM »
This summer marks five years for me.  My daily driver is a modded SSP that currently houses an Ivory kettle and has previously housed many others:

My high-water mark was the COVID-summer of 2020:

Looking forward to whatever comes next.
Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320